18th Is Always The Special One

A long and fresh whiff of warm birthday air through a window on an alien blanket in a two-story house was enough for him to know it. July twentieth had finally come around, he could tell 18 was going to be his best birthday yet! His mom promised him to go to the observatory, he was a space nerd, and take him to his favorite take-out place tonight with Matsukawa and Hanamaki! Or as he usually calls them, Mat-chan and Makki-chan. Anyways, Oikawa knew that this day would be the best birthday, his 18th was the time he would be able to move out with his friends and they would live together, well, he was actually going to crash at their place because he didn't necessarily have a great pay at his current job. The birthday boy's job was at his favorite take-out place which was 'Beatrice's Making Sushi'. It was a really tiny and cute place that really everyone enjoyed.

He took one more breath of the fresh air before rushing down the mint stairs right into his mother's arms, hugging the small woman tightly.

"Happy Birthday, Tooru!" She cheered happily, keys jangling from her fingers. Oikawa pulled back and smiled widely, a real smile, unlike all the other fake ones that he pulls off. The brown-haired teen looked at the keys and playfully took them from her grasp, running to the front door and grabbing his shoes on the way to the car. Tooru had been dressed since 8am that morning which wasn't too long ago. Special brunch with his friend duo and his mother was the first order of his business. Oikawa didn't want his mother to drive when she was doing so much already, along with that he took the keys for fun, mind as well be the one driving.

Although he had his driver's license, his mother didn't necessarily like driving with him. The teen was really loud and he always enjoyed to blast his music, in their house the rule was driver picks the music and how loud it is. Oikawa loved to have a fun time while being behind the wheel because well, he didn't like being boring and focused for too long or he thought too much/deep. His mother wasn't bad about music or anything like that, he just couldn't handle today being sad because he had time to think about something terrible. Especially when recently scientists made a discove-STOP, Tooru warned himself, unconsciously reaching for the volume button to find that it was already on the highest setting. Disappointment covered his face, so instead he changed the song until eventually the news station about how a caterpillar forms into a butterfly. It slightly interested him hearing about how they turn to goo, but not too long he found himself falling for the thinking process again.

When Tooru was a kid, all he wanted to be was a scientist. But then, scientists starting taking over the government and his dreams were crushed as his grades fell lower. It was a lot of stress to put on when he knew that to be higher than the government, it took more than straight A's. It took higher than an A and extra credit. He had to be recognized, part of everything science and know how everything works, which was why he had quit volleyball. Though he was comforted a lot and helped, he couldn't help the disappointment when he pulled through and kept the best grades in his class. Everyone congratulated him, but even then, he knew it wouldn't be enough to be a scientist. It never was.

That was until graduation and he was asked to go to a college specifically for scientists, but even though he OF COURSE accepted, he didn't feel like he would belong. He wasn't a genius. Oikawa knew that everyone there would be better, they would all be so smart while he was this terrestrial nerd that had nothing but alien decorations and a notebook that he kept ideas in. This was the simple part, he accepted even though he knew nothing because of a pride that led him there. It was all he had, pride.

Oikawa smacked his palm on his forehead, Look what you did! Today wasn't supposed to start with remembering shit like this! You fucked up, Tooru, you fucked up.

Finally, they had reached the famous breakfast place that served really most anything for breakfast; bacon pancakes, waffle omelets, sausage on a stick, you name it. He was glad to see that his two gay friends were already there, he wasn't kidding about the gay part. Those two were closer than molecules.