We Ran But It Wasn't Enough

They panted slightly, the two must have run 20 miles at least. They ran a marathon without a thought. It was truly amazing what this terrestrial being made him do when they had just met. This sudden bond, it was like a magnet that one side pushed him away but one wanted him too close for comfort.

"Well, I mean, this could be a fake house with a lot of frames of yourself and a tiny woman. With comfortable furniture and a clean eating area that I don't get why it's there. Everyone eats in the room with furniture, I'm not sure what you all call it." Iwaizumi started, rubbing the back of his neck slightly as if in embarrassment, mumbling something inaudible under his breath.

"So before I tell what we do call a living room, tell me about your world." Oikawa completely expected the new alien follow him, but he just stood when the brown haired Tooru made himself comfortable in a chair at the table, once he had grabbed a pen and paper.

Oikawa wanted to know everything and remember it all. His first encounter was with someone who looked exactly like his species. "I have to know more aboit actual aliens."

Before Tooru noticed his damage as the Erodanian shook, a harsh tone filling his voice, "Don't. Call. Me. An alien." He looked down, it seemed his tears weren't clear like theirs, he covered his face, shoving away whatever was in front of himself. "Sorry." He breathed in, walking to the chair in front of Oikawa at the table.

Even though Oikawa so badly wanted to write everything down, he... didn't want to see this. No doubt since he was the last Erodanian left, he would have a harsh time living in this foreign world.

"I've got your back."

It needed to be said. He needed it. At least, Oikawa assumed it was a he. Not now, he couldn't ask yet.

The tear stains and pain that covered the Erodanian's face was unbearable to him. The beautiful face and the dark blue his eyes had become, he bit his lip, green starting to spur from his teeth.

"Don't keep it in, Iwa-chan." New nickname, it shows he has respect. "I know that if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't let myself shed a tear. It takes a big person to release something so fragile." This wasn't like him.

Why did he care so much suddenly? Why was he repeating what his mom always told him when he was down?

There were sounds at the door, a key, it had to be his mother coming home.

Hajime and Oikawa took panicked glances before he signaled towards the kitchen, "Hide behind the counter, quickly."

The plan was set in action and his mom walked through the door, "Oikawa, honey! You look terrible, what happened in the lab?" She rushed to her son, giving him a brief hug before looking him up and down.

Her brown, soft eyes became wet at the sight, "You're clothes are all burned up, and-" There was another knock.

"This is the Karasuno police force, we need to inform you of... bad news, Mrs. Oikawa." An all too familiar voice sounded, sadness in every word.

Tooru went into the kitchen by Iwaizumi while his mother answered the door, Chief Daichi of Karasuno starting to talk, his face unrecognizably stiff as he held back on his own tears. Another officer with silver hair and a gentle smile putting a hand on his shoulder.

What had today become?

"Your son is Oikawa Tooru, correct?" He looked down, taking his hat off in silence as the mother nodded.

"He was a great kid, very smart and talented." The soothing voice of the silver haired cop eased the sad nerves on everyone, his mom was very confused as her son was just behind her. 

"I'm sorry to inform you there was an accident at the lab-" That she figured out on her own- "He did not make it from the accident, we apologize."

Wait what?

Maybe she had imagined her baby, because there wasn't a trace he had been here two seconds ago. Tears welled in her eyes and she didn't want to be seen crying, so she just nodded and shut the door.

The sound of footsteps walking made her relieved as she went towards the kitchen. She walked into the dining room, a pen and paper were neatly on the table, it gave her hope because she knew she didn't put it there. Then again, he might have that morning. She sat at the table, starting to cry but then a hand was on her back.

Her quick movements flooded her eyes with the salty tears, "Tooru, thank God you're not dead!" She cried into the shirt her son was wearing,ash covered it and choked her but that didn't make her let go.

"Mom, mom, you saw me alive, what happened?"

"Y-You're assumed dead."

"Oh no. Oh no. No. No. That means I will have to hide! I'm going to be stuck and everyone won't know me anymore! They'll forget!" He gripped his hair, almost pulling it out, "I WAS ABOUT TO-" He breathed in sharply, out even sharper.

How could today get any worse?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Oikawa had sat by his new Erodanian friend in the kitchen, he sat right by the beautiful space being. His skin and his was like a blessing, smooth like silk and it comforted him.

"Great, the police are here."

"That's what you call those mass killers?" Hajime spat, wiping away the green blood that had been pierced in. Oikawa felt bad, he wanted to be part of the head scientist, but that one, he was mad. Were they all like that?

"How can you pretend to have emotions when you just nearly made an entire planet's population extinct. The first victim being my father..."

Pain. It was like bullets were shot into his heart and he was bleeding heavily.

"I'm sorry. That wasn't supposed to happen." He wrapped his arm around his new friend protectively and reassuringly.

"The last thing he told me was if you want to get out alive, run for your life." He started, wiping away the salty tear, "And so I did, they set the lab on fire. I went into it for some evidence this wasn't how it was supposed to be, and found you."

There was a pause before he looked away, eyes changing, "And that was all the evidence I needed."