Whispers

Hiccup watched Cloud walk into the forest, his head tilted to the side. She said she wanted to be alone. But what about the flight last night? She had been so happy. Now she seemed like she had lost her dearest friend.

She is a strange girl. Hiccup thought. Even Heather hadn't acted like this.

Astrid stepped up behind Hiccup's shoulder. "Can I talk to you alone?" she asked.

"Sure thing, Astrid." he smiled. Astrid was the love of his life. Beautiful, passionate, strong, and loyal. Hiccup knew she loved him too. After almost five years they should know by now.

They stepped behind the building and faced each other.

"I think we should be careful around Cloud at first." Astrid said.

Hiccup frowned in confusion. "Why? If anything, it looks like we should be trying to help her."

"You have to admit we don't know her very well." Astrid said. "Your dad doesn't have time right now to worry about possible threats."

"Come on, Astrid." Hiccup crossed his arms. "She doesn't look like any kind of threat."

"Neither did Heather." Astrid reminded him.

"You like Heather."

"I do now."

"Look, Astrid," Hiccup motioned with one hand. "Why are you so suspicious?"

"I'm just careful." Astrid scowled. "I'm not saying we shouldn't give her a chance, I'm just saying we should watch her."

"We'll do that then."

"Hiccup, you have to be a little less trusting!"

"I said we'll watch her, alright?" Hiccup fists clenched at his sides. "That's what you wanted."

"Hiccup, I saw her watching Toothless."

"So? Nobody can take their eyes off of a Night Fury when they see it for the first time."

"I didn't like the way she was looking at him." Astrid continued.

"I'm sure it's fine." Hiccup insisted, but he couldn't help stare at his boot. A worm of worry wriggled in his stomach. Cloud had acted strange around Toothless. And what had she said the night before? "I'm sorry he can't fly."

"But don't worry." He looked back up at Astrid. "I'll keep an eye on her."

"Good." Astrid nodded. Then her face softened. "You know I just want you to stay safe." she put a hand on his shoulder.

Hiccup smiled, placing his hand on top of hers. "It never works though, does it?" he joked.

Astrid smiled too. "No, it doesn't. You get into trouble anyway."

Hiccup placed a tender kiss on his girlfriend's cheek before they walked out from behind the house. Both of them mounted their dragons and in no time they were soaring above Berk.

I'll talk to Cloud later. Hiccup made a mental note. Maybe after some quiet time to herself she'll be ready to talk.

Toothless hovered, his wings making a steady swoosh. Swoosh. Hiccup scanned Berk from above. He could see the people moving about in the village. The sheep in the fields were grazing calmly, though not for long if he knew the twins. Hiccup shook his head at the thought.