Surviving

I was cold and hungry and miserable. Another day had passed. Still I hunkered in the cavern.

Hunger had never gripped me like this. It was at the point where it was painful. My face remained contorted as I tried to bear it.

Maybe I should give myself up. At least prisoners got food.

A sigh escaped me. I hadn't been caught, but I felt captured. I was in a prison because I had captured myself. It was all my fault. I wasn't feeling sorry for myself.

Well, maybe I was just a little bit.

Another growl wracked my stomach and I winced. I needed food. Now! A tear slid down my cheek and I got to my hands and knees.

Looking around to make sure there were no dragons--and more importantly, their riders--in sight, I left the cave.

The light nearly blinded me, even thought it wasn't that sunny out. I blinked for a few steps before looking around again. Still nothing. I set out for the river I had visited yesterday.

At first I was afraid I couldn't find it, but then I heard it's rushing waters and hurried toward the sound. At its bank, I dropped to the ground and took in big swells of cold water. It felt so good....

When I sat up, water dripping from my chin, I studied the river. There must be fish in it, how to catch them was the problem.

My fingers brushed my dagger. I stopped, then slowly drew it from my belt. There was still blood on the blade. The white Night Fury carved into the handle looked me in the eye, making me shake.

At last I shook my head, not look back down at the knife, I cleaned the blade on the moss and grabbed a nearby stick. For a long time I sat on the river bank and sharpened the end of the stick into a spear.

I studied my work as I tucked my knife away. It seemed sharp enough to be a spear.

So watching the river like a dragon, I waited to catch a fish.

Under the rapids, I was finally able to make out a small school of salmon. I poised my wooden spear over the water, waited, then lashed out.

The fish scattered and my spear came out empty.

Frowning with determination, I waited again. My belly growled. The fish came back together, a little farther downstream this time. I aimed, then struck!

Backing away from the water in case the fish fell back in, I looked at the end of my spear. Nothing.

I lay stretched out by the bank for another untimed period of waiting. I struck time after time. Still no fish. It was getting frustrating, especially when I kept hitting fish but didn't seem to pierce them. My spear also hit a million rocks, blunting the tip so I had to constantly sharpen it. I was ready to give up. A tear slid down my cheek. Or maybe it was sweat.

"You know, it would be easier if you tied that dagger TO the stick and tried that."

I whirled around, wide eyed and heart racing. Astrid stood with arms crossed, beside Stormfly, watching me.

I spun on my heel and raced through the forest. Astrid's footsteps thudded behind me and I ran faster until I couldn't hear her anymore.

She would send Stormfly after me. Crying out, I ran still faster and dove into my cavern. Lying there, I panted like a frightened rabbit.

Like I had expected, wing beats sounded overhead. They stayed right above me, not moving on. I held my breath.

After a minute--the longest minute in my life--Astrid spat in disgust and then flew off. I collapsed in relief.

If Astrid was here, wouldn't the other dragon riders be? Maybe the search party had even grown.

Again I slumped against the cold dirt. I didn't know how long to wait to go out again. My belly felt shrunken. Tears asked if they could run down my face.

Go ahead. I told them. They spilled over my eyelids and slid down, jumping off of my chin. I didn't cry out loud and my body wasn't tense. I just sat there, face and back sopping wet.

Tired of waiting, I looked out of the entrance, gazing at the trees and ferns in the open air. There was still no sound. I decided to take the chance.

But first I would take Astrid's advice. I grabbed a stick from above me, pulled it into my hidey-hole, and carved two notches in it.

Outside the cavern, I glanced around me. Butterflies in my stomach (the only thing filling it), I sneaked off in search of vines to use for rope.

As I scanned the flora around me, there seemed nothing even remotely related to a vine. There was no ivy, nothing. I looked at a patch of ferns. Could I use those?

I tried but couldn't tie a tight enough knot. I sighed and continued my search.

What if I just used my knife without the stick? Would my arm be long enough? There was only one way to find out.

I turned around and retraced my steps so I could find my way back to the cavern and then the river. As I walked, I noticed an especially thick, twisty tree. I hadn't seen it before. Gulping, I kept walking.

A few minutes later, the ground dipped beneath my feet. I tripped down the slope. At the bottom the ground was marshy.

I couldn't be lost! Scrambling back up the slope, I felt my chest tighten, making it harder to breathe without panting. As I searched the scenery, I recognized nothing.

"No," I whispered to myself. I was lost. How would I survive?

What am I thinking? I wasn't returning to the village anyway. I'm only lost because I'm not with my family. Maybe the dragon riders don't know about this area, either. It seemed pretty secluded.

So survive.

If there's a marsh here, I thought, looking back at the boggy ground, the river might be nearby. Rivers don't exist in just one spot. They travel, too. And if the dragon riders can't find me here, I had run home free.

To brighten up my day, I found some climbing vines on dryer ground.

I reached for my dagger so I could cut some off.

Something squeezed my arm. I spun around, wide eyes widening even more.

"Hiccup, let me go!" I screamed.

"Cloud, you need to stop hiding." Hiccup was looking me in the eye. Toothless was behind him, looking at me.

"Let me go!"