12. A Friend of Mine

June's P.O.V

"Thanks for dropping me home, guys," I told Zayn, Harry, Niall, their girlfriends, and Liam.

"No problem, June," Niall said as he shifted the gear to park.

I unfastened my seat belt. "Just tell El and Lou that I said thank you, too."

"We will," Perrie said and gave me a hug. "Keep that smile, okay? If you need anything, and I mean anything, we have your back, okay?"

I smiled thankfully. "Thank you so much, Pez." I tightened my hug and let out a sigh of relief. "You have no idea how much that means to me." 

Kai hugged me next. "If the haters get to you, don't hesitate to call any one of us. Being the target of the media is always tough, especially the first time around." 

I nodded and went to hug Annette. 

"Just promise me that you will keep a strong smile on your face," she told me as she hugged me tightly. 

"Promise," I replied, letting out a confident breath. 

I hugged the rest of the guys goodbye and Liam opened the door for me. I walked out and linked arms with him, turning and waving once more before walking up my driveway.

"Did you have a nice time?" Liam asked as he walked with me.

"Yes, I did! I never actually thought I was ever going to meet a member of Little Mix and all of One Direction all in one sitting," I joked with a giggle. "It was an amazing day. I have all of you guys to thank for that."

He smiled. "You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it," he replied as we reached the door. He faced me and took a deep breath. "Goodnight, June."

"Goodnight," I replied and gave him a hug.

Just when I thought this tight hug couldn't get any better, he brushed his lips against my face and kissed my cheek. My heart leapt up to my throat and I was worried that he would hear it beating from where he was standing. The first time he did it was quite a surprise, but there was something about the way he did it this time that seemed a little more different. This kiss seemed a little more intimate, as if he were kissing a girlfriend goodbye. 

"I'll see you later," he said as his look burned into my eyes. 

"Okay," I whispered and smiled wider.

He backed away from the porch, still holding my hand. As soon as he got to a distance where our hands can no longer stay entwined, he let go, leaving my hands unoccupied and bare. I waved as he got back into the car and drove away.

I sighed and backed into the door. I had such a wonderful time and I still couldn't believe it. After a few moments of daydreaming, I unlocked my door and walked inside, still in a daze. Then, something happened that caught me off guard. From the kitchen, I heard two voices of laughter: my mother's, and a man's. It couldn't be Keith, because I know he doesn't laugh like that, nor is his voice that deep. 

I walked into the kitchen and found my mom with some guy that I've never seen before in my life. I stopped in my tracks and felt my heart stop beating. 

Both of them looked at me and froze in place.

"Oh," Mom said, breaking the silence. "June, you're home!" she grinned. "How was your day out with Liam?" she asked, clearly dodging the fact that there was a man sitting down in front of her. 

"Umm, it was really fun," I said shyly. I eyed the man a little, waiting for my mom to explain herself.

Mom cleared her throat. "Umm, Gordon, this is my daughter, June," she introduced. "June, this is my friend, Gordon. He's new at work."