Chapter 4

Seraphina sat up properly and stared at Charles, who appeared to be very confused. She herself was also curious as to why he couldn't read her mind, but a small part was relieved. She didn't want him to see her past, and think differently or pity her because of it. She'd rather it wasn't brought up. Ever.

"Really? Do you have an idea as to why?" Seraphina asked. Charles shook his head at the same time Erik made an 'aha' noise. Both looked over at him.

"I may know." Erik said, considering his words. "There was that time, only once, and many years back when you, ah, spoke in my head. I had almost forgotten it until now."

Seraphina realized quickly the time he spoke about. She had been brutally beaten the day before, and desperately wanted to stay within the meager safety of the locked shed, with him, instead of going to the lab. Somehow, she had shouted for help in his mind, even though he was just behind her. No doubt Charles now knew these events, as he might have read Erik's mind just now, or before.

"So you might have a telepathic power along with a telekinetic one as well. It would explain why I can't sense you in the room telepathically." Charles said. Seraphina made an agreeing noise, then yawned.

"I think," she yawned again, "I think I'll have a proper sleep now." she rubbed her eyes, suddenly tired and stood up to leave to her room. Erik stood as well, thinking she might not remember where it was, then realized he didn't either. His face had conflicted emotions because he didn't want her to stray too far. Charles sensed this and spoke up.

"I'll take you to it. The hallways can be very confusing at first." said Charles. Erik nodded at him, and sat down again.

Charles walked next to her, close enough to realize she was actually slightly taller than him. It seemed to be a common trait between her and Erik, though he knew they weren't related. Her red hair fell in light waves down her back, bouncing as she walked alongside him. He chuckled when she yawned again for the fifth time.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I think these hallways being such bland colors are making me fall asleep faster." she mumbled. Charles stopped at the next doorway and opened it for her. She turned around to face him, holding the door knob in her right hand.

For the first time since they met he could properly see her eyes. All the other times he was too far away, or it was too dark, but he could see them now.

At first glance, they looked like a hazel color, then partially blue. He even saw green, but what he concluded on was that they were so dull a pale blue they was grey, with a ring of gold near the pupil. It was remarkable to look at, since his own eyes seemed to second guess themselves and present new colors. It was like they fluidly changed every time he blinked, only to come back to the grey and gold before he blinked again. All this, he thought in less than a minute. Fast enough that he wasn't even staring too long at all, and caught her words sent his way.

"Thank you, I would've certainly gotten lost in this maze. Everything looks the same." Charles shook himself mentally and responded a little too quickly.

"It was nothing. You look pretty worn out from the past day's' events. It's the least I could do." he smiled warmly. Seraphina smiled sleepily back.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Most people would describe their dreams as a void, a pit of black. Seraphina knew better. Her nightmares, her dream plane, was a cold white lab. A metal table with countless dents. A tray laid with different tools each session, each dream. Each memory. The worst part was, she could feel it here, in her head. The pain, the relief. She knew it was a dream, that she would wake up, but it got worse some nights.

Tonight was one of the bad ones.

She relived the memory mentioned earlier. Stuck in her younger body, she screamed out again in fear and pain of going back. Before being shielded from view, she saw an angry little Erik, and something in her reached out to him. But his face turned dark, and it dripped black fog. Everything was melting.

Screaming was in her ears, it was too high, too loud. Seraphina suddenly couldn't remember where she was, what was happening. Someone was screaming. . .Erik?

"Seraphina!" 

There, a voice. She couldn't be the only screamer, but it sounded so much like her own-

"Seraphina!" 

Seraphina jolted out of bed so fast she only fell over again, tangled in blankets and her own hair. Still unsure about what was happening, all rational thoughts gone, she was sobbing while gasping for breath and struggling against the sheets.

"Seph, Seph! Calm down! It's me! It's Erik."

Erik watched distraught as his oldest friend and companion struggled helplessly against the sheets, sobbing from her nightmare. He gripped her shoulders and drew her into his chest while untangling her. They sat huddled in a puddle of fabric next to the bed. It was a long while before she calmed all the way down. His shirt was wet where her tears had been. He looked down at her.

"All over?" he whispered. She looked up to him with slightly unfocused eyes. He often saw that look after she woke up. Often she couldn't remember the nightmare, which meant she couldn't prevent it.

"I-I think so. I can't remember it-just, just the fog and the screaming. It hurt, it hurt my head." She choked out the words.

What Erik didn't say was that it was probably her own screaming she had heard. He purposefully took the room next to hers for this reason. Unless it was particularly bad, she was usually over it by morning. At least she could fall back asleep, the nightmare never came more than once. Once he heard her breathing calm he placed her back in the bed before setting the sheet right and quietly leaving.

The next morning, around eight, Seraphina walked into the kitchen looking sleep deprived with a functioning bird's nest for hair. Not that Charles would say that aloud, that would be rude. No, instead he extended a greeting.

"Good morning." He said. He didn't think he was loud at all, but Seraphina flinched at the noise before smiling his way and patting down her hair for lack of a comb.

"Morning. Not good, for me, but you always seem happy so I expect nothing less." Charles frowned a little.

"Why was it bad for you?" he asked.

"Oh, just a nightmare. Not the first, certainly not the last. I hope you slept well." she said while pouring a fresh cup of tea. One sip and she spit it out.

"Yuck, that's disgusting. It's just for show isn't it? The coffee probably isn't good either." she commented. While speaking Charles though over her remake about a nightmare. He slept well, yes, but he had thought he heard someone screaming as he slept. It could have very well been physical, but he was in a separate hall. Erik must have taken care of her, but then that would mean her voice was in his head.

That was definitely unusual based off her description of her abilities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha the chapters are getting longer! I like to keep them between 900-1200 though, so if it's a super long one, it's an apology for not updating in awhile. I guess I need readers for that though. . . optimism! There'll always be at least one!