Dream Becoming Reality

After hours of browsing and wasting my precious time, finally, I saw an unread message in my inbox which was the first one to come my way since I came home from the hospital.

When I clicked on it, I screamed involuntarily with the hand on my mouth to contain my merriment.

There was a message that was saying that I was accepted as egyptologist! It said that they will contact me very soon. But no matter how soon it could have been, it was gonna be never enough.

I craved this job and the emotions that washed over me were hardly something to be distinctive. They were a mixture of exhilaration and anxiety.

Kelly came in, sweating. ''What happened Sara?''

I immediately told her that I have got the job, my dream job. The job I had been waiting for my whole life, commencing from childhood.

She was equally as happy and proud of me. For celebration we went to a night club, dancing our asses off and maybe I had too many drinks but I was not feeling remorse at all.

I wanted to feel irresponsible for the first and last time because after this "before" was not gonna be acceptable.

Days after my job acceptance, the bell rang. When I opened it, there was standing a good looking young man in his mid twenties. He had a look of grave concern which showed his worry lines on his forehead and I more than ever wanted to trace them.

His attire comprised a not so fitting white coat and a tucked in blue shirt. The jeans were scuffed and torn as if it was fashion but he did not seem to have a shit about that. My thoughts were interrupted.

''Hello I am Alex, is here Sara? I need to talk with her.''

''I am Sara. What do you need?''

''We can't talk here...''

I looked him for a while with flushed out face and then nodded. ''Come inside.''

We sat on the sofa, staring at each other. The electricity flowing through the air felt palpable and I more than ever felt an urge to touch it.

He coughed. ''I wanted to tell you to pack your stuff because we are leaving tomorrow at 7 AM for Egypt. As for payment well, you will be paid more than five thousand dollars.''

As he was explaining what I had to do, Kelly passed by.

''Who is he?'' she asked.

''He is Alex my-'', in the middle of the sentence I stopped, I didn't know what to say it's not my fault that he didn't properly introduce himself.

''Her co-worker'' he said, finishing my sentence. ''Well, hello there. I am Alex. I assume you are her sister, right?'' Alex continued.

''Yes indeed I am. Nice to meet you, Alex.''

''Nice to meet you too. By the way, Sara I told you what I had to say now I have to go. I will come and pick you up tomorrow but don't forget anything you will need on this journey.'' He got up and left.

Kelly turned to me ''You are leaving tomorrow? Where?'' she was clearly shocked.

-''Yes I'm leaving, I have to leave for Egypt. I am so sorry Kelly for not having the privilege of staying here because of my job prescription now but I must go.''

''I wish you stayed here longer'' Her expression saddened. It wasn't like we did not stay apart for a time but we had never lived without each other.

It may be cliche but she was my soul mate. No matter how soon we returned to one another, it felt like ages and our hugs would intensify each time.