The news

Some of the boring but important:

Please note that while I will try to keep the language in check this story is about, amoghst other things, a gay couple in love, there will be some sexual references.  If such material offends you please look elsewhere.  

While I did some research to give a bit of structure to the story and make it interesting for the reader, you. All of what is written here is purely fictional.  Should there be any similarities between this story and actual facts or events; these similarities are purely coincidental.  

I have no idea how search and rescue works. If through this book I may inadvertently downgrade their role or say something false, I apologize in advance. I believe they do an amazing job, often putting their own life on line in order to help others and I admire them a lot.

Obviously this work belongs to author, me. It may not be reproduced without my consent. The picture for the cover is art work by Karl Simon Gustafsson.

So here it starts again ... enjoy

*********************************************************************************************************

December 16, Krakow (Poland) - 19:00 (7:00pm)

 "And for the last news this evening, a Wings air seven thirty seven disappeared over the Swiss alps on its way from Rome to Amsterdam. The causes of the incident are still unknown. The Swiss air rescue in collaboration with the Italians have mounted teams to look for the downed aircraft and possibly shed some light on the event. More may follow on the next few days.

And that's it for today thank you ..."

And that's it. It is crazy how your life can be changed in just 30 seconds. My drink forgotten half full, there is only one thing I have on my mind Marco. Time stops, how many flights does Wings air have between Rome and Amsterdam a day? Maybe it was another company, they made a mistake. I look at the time. Marco is supposed to land in one hour in Krakow. I take the computer out and pull the airport site. The flight from Amsterdam is on time.

"Excuse me, may I have my bill?"

"You have not finished your drink yet?" The Waitress points out with a smile.

"I know, but I am in hurry." I simply state not welcoming any further conversation.

Moments later I'm on my way to the airport, I will get there early, but at least I will be there the moment he comes out.

The minute I arrive I go straight to the Wings air counter.

"Excuse me" I say.

An annoyed clerk looks at me for a second before answering. "yes, what can I do for you?"

"Just need to know if a passenger made it on the Amsterdam Krakow flight."

"I am sorry sir, we do not release the information on the passenger list. You will have to wait for them at the gate."

"But..." Her bland stare just tells me that I will get nowhere so I leave for the arrival gate and sit on the closest chair.

*****

"Why don't you join me this weekend?"

"What, no way, do you know how much the ticket is going to be at the last minute?"

"Come on love, I miss you. It has been five weeks already, and here things are not going well, it will be two more weeks before I can fly back. You are going to love Krakow, the plaza is all decorated for Christmas. There is a nice Christmas market, and spiced hot wine."

"Sure, sure, I know you. You only think of one thing. You horny!" I hear him smile on the phone.

"That is so unfair, just because I may have an active libido it does not means it always revolves around that. And besides, you should be happy that I only think of you when I am horny, as you put it." Now he really laughs.

"Fine, I will look into the available flights and let you know."

"Great! Love you!"

"Love you too!"

The phone hangs.

 *****

I look at the screen, the flight just landed. I spring up as on a wound coil and make way to the front of the line on the arrival gate. Passengers start to come out. People are smiling and hugging as friends and families are reunited. Every time the door opens my heart skips a beat and then sinks as it is not Marco that comes out. Half an hour, forty minutes pass by. Nothing, panic starts to sink in, I go back to the Wings counter.  The same clerk is at her post.

"Excuse me" same annoyed look.

"Yes, what can I do for you?" Is it a broken record.

"Just came before, to enquire on a passenger coming from Amsterdam and you told me to wait at the gate. Could you please just tell me if the flight is all disembarked, maybe some people are still waiting for a lost luggage or some other issues." My face must have spoken plenty. The annoyed look changes to a weak smile and what, compassion.

"As I told you before I cannot give you information about the passengers. But yes, all passengers have disembarked and left the luggage area." It's as if a ton of bricks just crushes on me. I can hardly breath for a second. "I am sure," she carries, "that your friend just lost the flight and is waiting for the next flight from Amsterdam. Do you have a number you can call?"

"Yes, I will, do that."

As I turn I'm already on the phone.  To no avail, all I get is a system voice telling me the user I am trying to reach is not available at the moment and to try later. I take a few deep breaths to calm down. I make my way back to the hotel.  As I sit there stoned, I start thinking that there must be a way to know what happened, would they advise the next of kin? Marco always puts Francesco. His reasoning being that since we always travel together, should something happen, it would be better if they contacted someone not likely traveling together at the same time. I jump on the phone.

"Hallo, Francesco, is John."

"Hi John, where are you?"

"Krakow, at the hotel. Have you got any news on Marco?"

"Yes, I just got a call from Wings air. Marco was on a flight from Rome to Amsterdam. They said they lost contact with the aircraft. They said that air rescue is already looking for them and that they will let us know as soon they have some information."

My heart stops, my breathing stops, my brain stops. Thanks God I am sitting otherwise my legs would just give.

"John? I am sorry to just have blurt it out, I did not know how else to tell you. John are you still with me, buddy?" His voice is worried.

"Yes, I'm here." I can manage.

"I am sure everything will be fine. These guys are professionals and there are so many safeguards on the planes these days. I am sure that they will find them soon and they will bring them back home."

"Yeah, I guess so" I say halfheartedly, how many people actually survive plane crashes? I am not sure the record is that good. As I start panicking again, Francesco continues.

"How long are you in Krakow for?"

"I am not sure, maybe I am going to leave tomorrow or something."

"And where would you go?"

I think about it, then I reply.

"Where are they directing the search and rescue from?"

"I am not sure."

"But I will find out."

***************************************************************************************

Well this is it for the second chapter. I will post the next right away since I have already written it..

Oct 19: I added a picture of John, or how I see him. Let me know what you think...