In Action

December 18, 11:30

I finally make it to Lodrino airport after over 45 minutes of roads through the alps. It is a military/civilian airport.  According to the site I found, here I should find a small tourist operator that charters helicopters.  As I get out of the car, the only helicopter I see is an old thing. A mechanic of some sort is working in what seem the engine nacelle.

“Hi” I approach the mechanic

“Good morning, may I help you?”

“I want to charter an helicopter.”

“That would be 2000 Swiss Francs for a tour of Lugano and the lake, we cross some of the alps, very breath taking views, and you can take 4 people.”

“Actually I am more interested in renting the helicopter by the hour. How much would that be?”

“That depends on how long you need the helicopter for?”

“The rest of today, and tomorrow, maybe the day after…” I just let it hang there.

“Are you trying to look for the survivors of the plane crash?”

“Maybe”

“Maybe you should rent from someone in Lugano, they are a lot closer to the accident.” He turns around to keep working on his helicopter.

“I tried already and nobody would take me up.”

“And for good reason. Are you with some news paper or something.” He does not even bother to turn around this time.

“No, I am by myself.”

“Look, I would like nothing more then to get you up there for a few days, I am a business man after all. But do yourself a favor and save your money. The search & rescue crews are already on the case and they have information, equipment and people trained for this sort of thing.”

“How much per hour, as you said you are a business man after all.”

Now he turns around, his face challenging.

“Why do you want to go up so badly anyway. Do you have family on that plane or something?

“Yes, I have family on that plane. As a matter of fact I have my only family out there.” I point at the distance. “And I am tired of everyone telling me to go back! Now will you tell me how much per hour?”

The man in his late forties, scratches his stubble. I notice he has a strong jawline. Short cropped hair, military style  show signs of aging to a nice deep grey. A weathered face with deep piercing green eyes study me, then he adds.

“That would be 1250 francs per hour or a 1000 euro if you prefer. We will not fly in darkness, it would be useless anyway. And we stop when and where I say so. I take credit card payment in advance.”

I moved to Europe about two years ago when I decided to follow Marco. My Italian Master Card has a 2 000 Euro limit. It will get me nowhere. I have still my Canadian credit card with a 15 000 $ limit. I check in my pocket and I still have it in my wallet. If I charge the amount on it and pay it at the end of the day I should be ok. I have about 75 000$ on my Canadian account, plus another 10 000 or so Euros on an Italian account, the sum of all my savings. It should be enough for about a week of rental.

“Get the helicopter ready.”

“It’s your money.” He adds as if resigned.

He turns around closes the hatch he was working on, then turns back.

“Helicopter is ready. How many hours do you want to fly today? “

“For as long as we can.”

“That would be five hours. This way please.” He goes toward the building where I assume is his office.

*****

About fifteen minutes later we are in the air. From the inside the helicopter is more spacious then it looks. We occupy the two from seats. The banquette behind can seat three more people, and there is a space in the back for luggage. A net separates the back space from the people’s space.

“Where would you like to go?” He asks

“What do you mean? You are the pilot.”

“Yes, but you are paying, so tell me where.”

“Let’s start from Lugano, and then move toward Zurich.”

*****

In case you are interested Lodrino airport is North of Lugano on highway E35, between Lugano and Biasca. It is too small to be seen on the posted map. Why did I use it? Because there is actually a helicopter tour operator in Lodrino. No I have never been there, I only found the information out on the internet.

That is is for today. A short chapter I apologize. What do you think? Did John do the right move?