Chapter 5

I went out for coffee on Saturday afternoon with my mom. Claire and I are very different people so we don't always enjoy each others company. It sounds bad, but it's true. We needed some real mother-daughter bonding time.

We walked into the small coffee shop around the corner from our house. I ordered both of us caramel lattes, something we had a common taste in. Then Claire and I sat at a table next to the window that overlooked Main Street to chat.

The café was a small, quiet place on Main Street. It had a very poetic feel, dark mood lighting, wooden tables and chairs, deep green walls lined with black and white photography.

"So remind me, what schools have you applied to?" My mom asked curiously, leaning forward in her seat.

I sighed, and leaned back against the chair. "Mom, I told you, I'm thinking about spending a year or two at the community college." Claire had been pushing me to apply to several universities lately, but I wasn't interested in going away to school right now.

"I know. I was just hoping you would consider..." She trailed off suggestively.

"Mom, I don't even know what I want do yet. Can we talk about something else, please?"

"Alright... Any plans for the weekend?"

"No." I said gloomily.

"You know, if you wanted, you could invite some friends over for a bonfire. We have the fire pit out back." She sounded hopeful.

I took a sip of my latte and shrugged. "Don't you think it's a little cold for a bonfire?"

She shook her head, "No, it's supposed to be sixty tomorrow. You could do it then."

I looked down at my hand that was resting on the table. I began tracing the miscellaneous pattern that was etched into the table top with my index finger.

"Or you could just invite some girlfriends over and have a sleepover!" She was trying so hard to make my social life into the one she'd enjoyed as a teenager.

I looked up at her. She was smiling widely.

"Why are you pushing this?"

Her smile faded now. "You just seem a little down and I thought spending time with friends would help." She smiled hopefully again.

"Sounds like a plan, Mom."

She rested her elbows on the table and clapped her hands together, "Perfect!"

When we got home I called Hailey, Leah and Autumn. Leah and Autumn were close friends of mine from the city I lived in before we moved to Springfield. I knew it would be a long shot to have them actually show, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. They live about forty-five minutes away so the only contact I have with them now is through technology. Phone calls, e-mails, and social networking sites. I missed them. I was thrilled when I called and they said they would come.

Naturally, Hailey was the first to arrive.

Claire was sitting at the table, in the kitchen, reading a book. She looked up and beamed as we came in. "Hailey, it's nice to see you again." My mom welcomed her.

"You, too, Mrs. Wood." Hailey smiled.

"Please call me Claire."

Hailey nodded with a grin.

"Oh, and I know you'll just love Cassie's other friends. They're great girls."

Hailey smiled.

I grabbed Hailey's arm and pulled her towards the stairs, "We'll be in my room."