Chapter 20

I couldn't sleep. Being alone in the apartment was unsettling. I spent the last three nights curled up on the couch with the T.V. on. I couldn't stand the silence without it. I barely ate either. I realized that I don't eat much when I'm stressed. I was beyond stressed. I was completely on edge. I took the blanket that was on my lap and wrapped in around my shoulders as I stood up. I had no idea what time it was. I couldn't even remember the last time I had looked at a clock. I walked to the kitchen and flipped the light on. The clock on the stove made me aware that it was just after one in the morning. I leaned against the wall for support as sleep tried to wash over me. I fought it weakly. I refused to sleep. I decided it was better to eat. I had to be awake to eat. Besides I was starving.

I opened the freezer and took out a small container of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream. I grabbed a spoon and then curled up on the couch again. I concentrated on each spoonful. The T.V. was just background noise. I ate until I was more than full. I wanted the sugar to keep me awake. I set the ice cream on the coffee table and closed my eyes. Sleep took over and I couldn't fight it.

I dreamt for the first time in a long time about Rob and Audrey. They were either running away from something or being chased down an abandoned street. It was the middle of the night but Audrey and Rob were both wearing sunglasses. I didn't understand the point. They both looked behind them occasionally as they ran. They darted into an ally way and stood there silent and motionless. About two minutes later I saw the thing they were running from. A soul reaper ran past the ally way in pursuit of them. Not even bothering to check the ally. I gasped in shock. Another five minutes passed and then the soul reaper changed direction. He sped past the ally way. Clearly something else had caught his attention.

"Cassie!" I heard Audrey shriek.

"Damn it!" Rob bellowed and then they were off heading in the same direction as the soul reaper. Then everything went black and I woke up.

I could feel perspiration on my face and neck. I was burning up and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. My heart was racing and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I just needed one deep breath of fresh air and I couldn't manage. I felt like I was dying. My breaths were short and awkward. I wasn't in control of them. I tried to yawn but that made it worse. I was having a panic attack. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to die I just need to focus on breathing. I sat up and wrapped my arms around my knees trying to sooth myself. "It was just a dream." I tried to convince myself knowing that my dreams were always reality so it didn't help much. "Sunglasses...." I murmured. I was still so hung up on the fact that Rob and Audrey were both wearing them. It didn't make sense. There had to be a reason. No one wears sun glasses when there's no need. Well okay maybe some people do, but I was sure they weren't making a fashion statement. Maybe they weren't sunglasses maybe they were moonglasses. No, that's just ridiculous. There's no such thing as moonglasses, there would be no point. "Unless..." I wondered. I shrugged and dropped the subject. There was no point debating this with myself. I was really just distracting myself from what I had dreamt.

I noticed the ice cream container sitting on the coffee table. I picked it up and melted ice cream ran down the sides and left a ring on the table top. I groaned and walked to the kitchen to dispose of the soupy ice cream. I grabbed the wash cloth from the sink on my way out of the kitchen and wiped up the ice cream mess in the living room. On my way back to the kitchen I paused because I thought I heard talking in the hallway outside the door. I waited...nothing. I hung the wash cloth over the faucet and stood at the sink for a minute. I looked at the clock on the stove again. It was now five a.m. I sighed and stood at the sink letting my mind wonder. I really should try to sleep. I couldn't fight the urge not to anymore.