Chapter 18

Although I wasn't feeling like my normal self I drove to the address that was etched into my memory. I drove about ten miles to get to the meeting location. I had no idea who I was meeting and that should have made me nervous but I wasn't scared at all.

I pulled up to a small blue house. It looked very poorly taken care of. The whole neighborhood seemed some what run down.

I knocked on the front door. When the door opened I was caught off guard by the man who greeted me.

"Hello Cassie." He gleamed reaching out to shake my hand.

My eyes widened. "Uh hi," I said self-consciously shaking his hand.

"It's nice to finally meet you."

"You too," I replied awkwardly.

"Come in." He urged.

I stepped into the house and he closed the door behind me.

The house was looked just as bad on the inside as it had on the outside. There was furniture strategically placed around the two large rooms that were divided by a narrow hallway. Book shelves covered the wall of one room. Books lay open on the floor, papers were scattered across a desk and some were on the floor. This was his house? I thought to myself. He must not spend a lot of time here.

"Sorry about the mess." He apologized.

I didn't say anything. I wasn't sure how or if I was supposed to comment on that.

He led me down the narrow hallway to a small room in the back of the house. It was a very small office. It very much resembled the office I had seen in my sleep; although it wasn't the same office. I had been to the Fox's home once before and this was a poor replication.

"Please have a seat." He urged extending a hand to the chair in front of the desk as he sat in the chair behind the desk.

I obeyed and took the seat opposite him.

"I'm sorry please allow me to introduce myself." He began as he squared his shoulders. "I'm Alexander Hoffman."

I tilted my head slightly, "Hoffman?" I repeated.

"Yes," he confirmed.

"But I thought-"

Alexander interrupted me with a laugh, "That's just my cover."

I raised my eyebrows, "Cover?" I asked.

He grinned darkly, "It's our little secret."

I scowled at him. "Why am I here?"

"Ah yes," he said rubbing his palms together. "We need your help. So I had you come here."

"What is this place?" I asked scanning the room for any indication.

"Let's just call it headquarters." He suggested.

"I'm confused." I admitted sheepishly.

"Who are you helping here?"

He laughed darkly, "The soul reapers my dear as are you."

I was completely appalled and it must have shown.

"You thought you could get away with helping Rob and Audrey?" he seemed amused at the idea.