Chapter Part 16

I didn't want to think about my own death anymore, so I reversed the conversation back to my original question, "What about my mom?" I asked again.

"Weren't you listening?" Audrey said flatly. "Nothing will happen to her."

"That's not what I mean." I tried to clarify without sounding frustrated. "If I can't go home where is my mother supposed to think I am?"

"Easy," Rob said, "She's going to think you're staying with your dad because you will be."

"What?"

Now I felt betrayed. Not only was Jack's house boring, Kyle lived next door. Normally I would be all for this, but I wasn't. Kyle wanted to know things knew better than to tell him. Living next door to would give him the opportunity to harass me about it twenty-four/seven. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"It's perfect!" Audrey disagreed.

How so?"

Rob spoke convincingly, "It's far enough away from Springfield for now, and you're dad and you're boyfriend-" he choked on the word boyfriend. "-are right there."

"So this is all about protecting me."

"Of course it is." Rob said.

"And when will my living arrangements change?" I asked.

"Saturday after graduation." He said.

"And until then?" I pressed.

"You'll stay here with us."

I looked around, "And sleep..." I trailed off suggestively.

"I'll be right back." Rob announced and then he walked out of the house.

When he returned, he was holding a few pillows and some sleeping bags. He strode into what I guess would be considered the living room and dropped everything he was carrying on the floor."

"Sleeping bags?" I questioned him.

Rob raised his eyebrows, "Did you want to sleep on the cold hard floor?"

"No." I smiled as I lightly shook my head.

"Good night then." He smirked, and then wondered off upstairs, leaving me alone in the living room for the night.

The next seventy-two hours passed all, too quickly. Time seemed to move faster when I was with Rob. It was Saturday, graduation day, and I had spent the past three nights at what I now called the haven house. As far as my whereabouts for my parents' sake, Claire thought I was staying with Jack, which would no longer be a lie after today, and Jack thought I was with Claire. I guess they never discussed my living arrangements over the past few days or I'm sure I would have been grounded by now.

I stood at the counter in Audrey's bathroom, at their real house, trying to do something nice with my hair. I settled on making it nice a wavy; a very classic summer look.

Yesterday while Claire was still at school, which is somewhere I hadn't been since Tuesday, Rob drove me back to my house and I packed everything I needed for today. The white flora print dress I bought for graduation, my cap and gown, make-up, hair supplies, and a change of clothes. Of course I couldn't keep any of this at the haven house, so when we got back I stayed with Audrey while Rob dropped off my stuff at their house.

I was just touching up my mascara when Audrey walked in to check on me.

"Ready?" she asked excitedly.