Chapter 11

"Far fetched."

Agent Slantolz said that when Drake had explained his theory. That was an hour ago... before you saw on Agent Slantolz actions why coffee shouldn't be given to dogs. "We gotta lead!!" He shouted, looking at the phone.

Drake rushed in. "What? WHAT?!!?"

"You know that building under construction over at the square?" Slantolz asked. Drake nodded. "Well, apparently, there's our ransom spot."

"But...why?" Drake asked, confused.

"Its deserted. Its dark. Its perfect for - as I've learned - a group of 4." Officer Slantolz gestured to the phone. "Got the call exactly an hour after your theory. Maybe it isn't as far fetched as I said it was!"

"But isnt it like a 'moth to a flame' kinda scenario?" Drake asked. "I mean, they could be holding Alyx and that other girl---"

"Ruby" Slantolz said

"Rudy, right, right. Whatever. My point is that if they bring the two, thats a trap. Ya know. Like, 'give us the money' and all you have is a suitcase filled with water bottles."

"Empty bottles" the officer countered. "And rocks."

"I hope you know what you're doing." Drake said resentfully

"Don't worry, Drake. I don't. But if they DO fall into the trap... then it proves that they're in it for the actual money. And oh-hoh-ho! They WILL fall into the trap."

"How would you know?" Drake asked incrediously

"A suitcase. Brown, leather. Most likely, a switch in their head'll say 'Thats it!' They'll open it, meanwhile we leave them enough of a headstart to start chasing us."

"We're running away?!!"

"No. But---"

The phone rang. Drake and Slantolz stared at it.

"Answer it." Slantolz said

Drake carefully answered. "Hello?" He said.

"Get ready." a voice said. "7 sharp, at the Site."

"Ok." The other end clicked.

Drake turned to the hopegul officer.

"It... better... work..." Drake enuciated slowly.

-----------------------

Alyx paced the stone, white room. A cellar. The crack in the wall was still there. Ruby was just as worried. They both sighed.  They had both heard the call made to a mysterious person.

A ransom. The plot goes on at 7. We've got to be out of here by now!

But... what if we can't? What if the crack is stronger than what I thought!

The door slid open. A man with a mask covering his face came in. Alyx glared at him. Ruby just blankly stared at Alyx.

"If you're going to kill me, do it now." Alyx said. "Just leave Ruby."

"Oh, trust me." the man said. "I'm not the leader of this." The man sounded around 30. "Look. Its a 3-hour trip to where we're going. Its..." he checked his watch. "...4 'o' clock. We should go."

"You seem so nice." Ruby noted.

"Lemme tell you somethin', kid." He said "I never wanted to be a part of this. Lets go..." He turned, Alyx and Ruby trailing him.

-----------------------

The clock was ticking. Slantolz going towards the site. The kidnappers going the same place. The showdown would begin. Soon.