♚ C H A P T E R • T H I R T E E N ♚

✦__________✦
"High above, in the mist of isle of Avalon...stood the mystic Excalibur. Shrouded in the veil of myths and utopia. A legacy still awaits..." - Yatharth
✦__________✦

The violet canopy dropped behind them, nearly trapping them inside Spindill. Robin and Bailey pulled their horses to a stop, turning around to watch as the guards that had been chasing them dropped to the forest floor in a deep slumber.

The twins could hear nothing over their pounding heartbeats, the rush of adrenaline pumping through their veins. Each of their muscles burned as they relaxed from their previous tension, causing their bodies to shake.

The four friends snapped their heads to the bushes beside them, a rustling sound emitting from the foliage. Two guards stepped out; their swords drawn.

Robin was the first to dismount his horse, unsheathing his sword from his belt and swinging it at one of the men. The guard quickly recovered, his armor shielding him from the blow. He nearly took off Robin's head with a swipe of his weapon, but his sword was intercepted by Bailey's. As the two friends took down the soldier, his companion lunged at the Aura.

Carolyn ran in front of her sister, raising her arms up in a futile attempt to block their heads. Much to their surprise, the sword shattered into pieces above their skulls, rendering it useless. Aura looked to their hands to see the rings Bailey had gifted them were glowing a baby blue.

Carolyn took the man's stupor as an opportunity to swing her leg in the air, kicking him away from her. He fell to the ground in a metallic cacophony, Aura rushing to his side to tear off his helmet. Carolyn grabbed the bud of his sword, the one remaining piece of the fractured weapon, from the ground. She quickly thumped it against his head, knocking him out.

The four friends scrambled to mount their horses and put distance between themselves and the sleeping guards.

They led the steeds through the woods for another hour before stopping at a clearing to rest. Bailey offered the horses water as Robin gathered wood for a fire.

The twins and Bailey walked through the forest upon his return, foraging for berries and other fruit to eat.

"How do you two feel?" the brunette asked as she plucked round, pink berries from a bush, popping one into her mouth.

Carolyn shook her head, a heavy sigh flowing from her parted lips as she dusted an apple off with the skirt of her dress. "Like I keep narrowly avoiding death."

Aura held the end of her skirt to make a small basket before piling more of the pink berries onto the fabric. "I feel like whenever I get comfortable with one thing, I'm thrown a curveball of gigantic proportions."

They began to walk back to where Robin had set up camp as Aura continued, "I don't know how we're supposed to save an entire planet if we can hardly retrieve one item successfully."

Carolyn casually tossed Robin an apple she had picked before turning her attention back to Bailey. "So where are we now?"

"Well if we fled from Spindill to the west, that would place us in the outskirts of Camelot."

"A sword that was buried deep within stone," Aura recalled, Bailey nodding in reply.

"Camelot..." Carolyn trailed off. "As in King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table Camelot?"

Aura's eyes widened, chomping down on the sweet fruit. "As in Merlin Camelot?"

Bailey nodded and chuckled. "I doubt we'd see Merlin, though, he's been M.I.A. for a long time."