♚ C H A P T E R • E I G H T E E N ♚

✦__________✦
"So come with me where dreams are born, & time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever." - J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan
✦__________✦

One by one, the four humans fell asleep while the currents changed, exhausted from extensive travel and a night without sleep. Bailey, Robin, and the twins slowly came to a few hours later as the mermaids slowed their typically sprightly pace. Through the crystal-clear ocean water, they could see a massive green island. Below it, colorful and diverse wildlife, ranging from magical water imps to jumping dolphins swam between pieces of coral through a vast reef.

Aura nearly lost the breath she had been holding for the past few hours to a gasp as a fleet of sharks swam by them. She squeezed her eyes shut until they reached the land, not wanting to watch Carolyn as she reached out to touch the dangerous sea creatures. Aura made a mental note to scold her sister for that later.

The women swam until they reached a shallow bay, helping the quartet out of the water and onto the shore. Aura breathed a sigh of relief, taking a moment to bask in the fresh air that she had gone hours without.

The youngest mermaid pulled a miniature, blush pink conch shell from between the pearls surrounding her sapphire bun, placing it in Bailey's satchel as she stepped onto the island. "If you'll ever be needing help, call into this and we will come."

Aura smiled at the friendly creatures, looking at the raven-haired beauty who had first approached them in Glassimere with a curious glance. "Thank you for everything, we really appreciate it, but why did you so quickly help us escape?"

Callista smiled, looking at her friends. "We've done the same thing for your mother a few times over the years."

Carolyn's mouth was agape as her eyes darted between the mermaids. "You helped our mother? How does everyone recognize us?"

"You know you two are something of a legend yourselves," the woman replied with a giggle, gesturing towards the twins. "Just like us mermaids."

"But we haven't seen her in years," the youngest mermaid said quietly. She pointed to Carolyn. "I accidentally mistook you for her when I first saw you." Carolyn looked down at her sopping wet shoes, unsure if the creature's comments made her want to smile or cry.

Callista cleared her throat. "Be wary when you enter the jungle, loves. You never know where pirates could be hiding, understood?"

Bailey nodded, an appreciative smile on her lips. "Yes, thank you again!"

The five mermaids waved before diving under the waves, disappearing from view.

Aura rang out her hair as Robin grabbed the map from Bailey's satchel.

"We head northwest to find Pixie Hollow," he said, tracing his finger along the map.

"Hopefully the fairies will be as nice as the mermaids," Carolyn said as they ventured into the dense, humid jungle.

Tall, rubbery trunks soared above them with large palm leaves creating a canopy. Long vines slithered from the trees' branches, some of which the group was certain were real snakes.

They trudged through the muggy forest, moving slowly to chop through thick foliage blocking their path. The four had worked up quite a sweat when they decided to stop and regroup.

"We've been walking for an eternity," Carolyn complained, using the back of her hand to wipe beads of sweat from her forehead. She tried to pat down her frizzy locks before pulling them into a braid. "Shouldn't we be getting close to some sort of civilization by now?"