♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - O N E ♚

✦__________✦
"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale." - Unknown
✦__________✦

Rain battered down on the twins as they walked out of their school the next afternoon, the cold water causing their hair to stick to their faces. They shivered as they made their way through the maze of cars, dodging a truck that nearly ran them over. Carolyn raised her middle finger in the air before Aura quickly dragged her along towards Bailey's car.

Carolyn stood frozen in place behind the trunk of her friend's car, her eyes fixated on a white Mercedes a few spaces down. Her heart wrenched while Casey and Eli locked lips in the two front seats, completely blind to the world around them.

"Cora..." Aura trailed off, grabbing her sister's hand.

"It's fine," Carolyn said curtly, turning to open the back door of Bailey's car without paying her sister so much as a glance.

Jewel was in the passenger seat, already chatting away about her feud with her sister when Bailey stopped her, noticing Carolyn's glum expression in the rearview mirror.

Aura slid into the backseat as Bailey asked what was wrong. "We saw Casey and Eli kissing," Aura explained, buckling her seatbelt and brushing her wet hair out of her face.

Bailey nodded soberly as she steered the car out of the parking lot. It had begun to rain harder, the wind kicking up and causing the already icy temperature to drop even lower.

"Is that why you still wear the locket he gave you?" Jewel asked out of the blue. Carolyn looked down at her necklace in confusion, forgetting that she hadn't yet dared to take it off. If she took off his locket, then it would truly be over.

"What do you mean?" Carolyn asked warily.

"Do you wear it because you feel bad for cheating first?"

Carolyn's eyes dropped to the floor of the car, a sharp pain rising in her chest.

"What the hell, Jewel?" Aura asked, trying to examine Jewel's face to hopefully find any hint of humor.

Bailey jerked her car to the side of the road, her sudden braking causing everyone to lurch forward. "Get the hell out of my car," she stated, not removing her eyes from the slick road.

"What? I didn't do anything wrong!" Jewel spat out.

"Do you honestly think that Carolyn would be the type of person to cheat?" Bailey asked coldly, her greys shooting daggers at the girl beside her.

"I mean she has been distant for the past month," Jewel explained, glancing between the three other girls. "You all have."

"So what? I stop going to parties and that means that I must be cheating?" Carolyn yelled. "Get a grip."

"If you really didn't cheat then why are you being so defensive?"

Bailey rolled her eyes, reaching across Jewel and opening her door. "Out."

"Casey was right." Jewel bitterly glanced back at the twins one last time before pushing the car door the rest of the way open and stepping out into the frigid rain.

The second the door slammed shut, Bailey sped off down the road. The three rode in silence as the ocean came into view on their right.

Carolyn rolled down her window, filling the car with the wet, salty breeze. With a firm tug, she ripped off the sterling silver locket before hurling it out the window, sending it flying towards the rocky waves below.