♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - N I N E ♚

__________
"Someday you will be old enough to read fairytales again." - C.S. Lewis
__________

A soft, rhythmic dripping reached Aura's ears as she floated back to consciousness, coating over the sharp ringing she heard inside her head. The cold, damp stone against her skin was rivaled by the sunny memories playing in her mind. Aura remembered the golden glow of the Portal encasing them, as if they were swimming in warm sunlight. She smiled to herself as the Heroes and Heroines' happily ever afters danced across her eyelids, as if swaying to the sweet melody of bliss.

Biting bursts of pain shot through her skull, bringing her back to her precarious, somber reality. Aura opened her eyes, her blues slowly focusing on the dungeon cell she inhabited. How did I get here? All she could remember was an overwhelming sense of pride and joy before a looming darkness took hold of her. Onyx, she recalled. Aura's heart dropped at the memory of Onyx capturing her, her sister, and her friends.

Panic shook Aura's body at the thought of her twin. She quickly struggled against her chains, to no avail. "Carolyn?" she screamed out desperately. Aura's heavy panting came to a screeching halt as she listened intently to a soft coughing on the other side of one of the stone walls.

"I'm here."

Aura breathed a sigh of relief at the sound of Carolyn's voice before Bailey spoke up from behind the wall on her left. "Me, too."

"Thank God," Aura murmured to herself. Her heartbeat steadily increased in its pace as heeled footsteps approached their cells.

"About time you woke up," complained a cool, feminine voice. Onyx stepped out from the dungeon's shadows, a devilish smile lacing her features. Her chocolate irises darted between the three girls before a soft, pleased chuckle left her throat. The queen sauntered over to Carolyn's cell, placing her hands gently on the bars. She carefully inspected the dried tears and blood on her face, faking a pout. "Don't worry, big sissy's here."

Carolyn looked up at Onyx, the tides turning in her heart as rage overtook her. "Rot in Hell."

Onyx crossed her arms over her chest, her dark eyebrows furrowing. "And just when I was considering sparing your life." The queen smiled to herself as Carolyn rolled her eyes. "It's too bad your friend won't be so lucky."

Carolyn could feel her muscles burn as fear churned in her stomach, her face going pale. "What?" she asked weakly.

Onyx casually wiped the dust off of a stool, pulling it up to the bars and perching on it delicately. "Robin Hood"—she rolled her eyes in disgust at the name— "has been a thorn in my side for years. Now, he'll finally be punished for his crimes against the Fabulan people."

A guard walked up to Onyx, stating his intentions to bring her to the gallows. The raven-haired woman looked at the three girls one final time, her eyes narrow, before turning on her heel. "I'll be back soon," she called over her shoulder.

The twins struggled against their chains as soon as Onyx was out of earshot, using any remaining strength they could muster.

Bailey remained still as a statue, though, not bothering to fight against the metal holding her arms above her head. All emotion had faded from her body, with only a deep sorrow lingering. I'm losing everyone. Tears glided down her cheeks as she thought of her best friend suffering the same fate as her brother. First Tristan, and now Robin. Soon, she thought, there would be no more Onyx could do to tear apart her psyche. Bailey would be broken by the heartache but would find a release in the death Onyx had undoubtedly planned for her.