♚ C H A P T E R • F I F T E E N ♚

✦__________✦
"Classic fairy tales do not deny the existence of heartache and sorrow, but they do deny universal defeat." - Greenhaven Press
✦__________✦

Aura's mind wandered as her castmate recited his line next to her. She ran through the remaining items in her head: a shard of captivity from a great height, a sole of glass that lasted after midnight, the sand of flight from pixies' wings, travel to the lost city to find the heart of the sea, the healing waters of life's meadow, a chronicle of Fabula's tales, and the Letters of Destiny.

Aura wracked her brain as she attempted to decode the last object. The Letters of Destiny? What fairytale is that from?

The boy next to her waited in silence for her to speak.

"Aura!" the director scolded. "Come back to Earth and stop missing your cues."

She cringed at Madame Snyder's disappointed snarl, wishing she could find the stamina to focus through the rest of rehearsal. 'Back to Earth'... If only the riveting scenes of their high school play could top the thoughts running through her mind. Aura couldn't force herself to be present in this world when she was tasked to save another.

The blonde stared blankly at Madame Snyder, snapping out of her daze. "Sorry..."

The director sighed as Casey approached her, free of her crutches. "You know, if Aura isn't feeling well, I could fill in for the day."

Madame Snyder looked at Aura's soft, apologetic features. "Please don't start—"

"—No seriously. I've still got my boot, but I don't need crutches, plus you're not even rehearsing dance numbers today." Casey's dark brown eyes glossed over Aura's defeated figure, a honeyed smile on her lips. "I only wanna help."

Aura looked at her feet, knowing that if she looked at her instructor she would be brought to tears. "It's fine, Madame. I'll sit today out and be ready tomorrow."

The older woman sighed, seeming as though she was bored by the display. "Very well."

Aura watched from the back of the auditorium, resisting the urge to break down crying as Casey nailed each line.

Carolyn met up with her on a break, chatting with her for a few moments before Madame gave them a five-minute warning.

"I'll catch you after rehearsal, I'm gonna go get some water," Carolyn said to her sister with a small smile before jogging back to the dressing room.

She nodded politely at the castmates she passed, carefully stepping over a prop who's paint still hadn't dried completely. Her soft jazz shoes kept her quick footsteps quiet against the aged limonium floors. Finally the two black dressing room doors came into view.

Carolyn's heart dropped one hundred stories to her stomach as she pushed open the door. Eli stood in the center of the room; his neck craned down as his lips met Casey's. Their heads snapped towards the door as it creaked open, surprised by the blonde's appearance.

Carolyn scoffed, her face twisted into a bitter scowl as she stared into her boyfriend's eyes. "Fuck you."

Eli stepped towards her, pushing Casey away. "Care—"

His empty apology was cut off as Carolyn's palm collided with his cheek. Her face flushed with anger. "Let me guess? You 'didn't mean to?' Don't act like you didn't know what you were doing."

Casey crossed her arms over her chest, rolling her eyes at Carolyn's reaction. "Since you cheated first, anything is fair game."

Carolyn turned on her heel without challenging her, pushing past people who had gathered to witness the spectacle. She ran away from Aura as her sister tried to catch her attention, running through the double doors of the auditorium and out of the school, her mind spinning.