♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - F I V E ♚

__________
"No great wisdom can be reached withoutsacrifice." - C.S. Lewis, The Magician'sNephew
__________

The face of an angel untouched by time appeared before their eyes in a sudden motion. They were fated to be caught—the twins knew that much. But had Onyx found them so quickly? Were they already dead by her hand?

The ethereal beauty had honey blonde locks messily drawn up into a high ponytail, accentuating her pronounced cheekbones. Her body was adorned in leathery black garments, with a fur-collared coat draped over her shoulders. There was chinked armor covering her chest and shoulders, providing a layer of protection from weaponry. The twins took her in, realizing their angel was more of a warrior.

The woman's hazel eyes met Carolyn's and in an instant, she dropped her sword.

Pictures from worn, paperboard scrapbooks flashed through the girl's mind. A newspaper clipping of a fiery car crash, detailed watercolor paintings, a smiling husband and wife—all shot through Carolyn's brain in a moment of recognition.

"Queen Felicity?" Bailey asked weakly as she examined the woman.

Aura's breath hitched in her throat at the name. In the weeks past, they had heard rumors of her mother still being on the run. Fairytales and fables had been revealed to her as real, and yet that was more believable than the idea of her mother's survival being more than just a myth.

"Aura? Carolyn?" Felicity asked in a sweet melody. Her voice was coated in heartache but was gentle, nonetheless. "Is it really you?"

Carolyn took a step back, certain that she was having another dream. She had waited her whole life for the woman before her, but now daring to believe Felicity was real was a vulnerable leap she wouldn't dare to take. I've finally lost it, haven't I?

Aura took a small step toward Felicity, her entire body shaking as a river of tears threatened to cascade down her dirt-covered cheeks.

Felicity let out a soft sob as Aura continued to step closer to her until they were only a few inches apart. She slowly lifted her arms and cupped Aura's face in her hands.

Without a second thought, Aura wrapped her arms around Felicity, relishing in a moment she thought she could only ever experience in her dreams.

Carolyn cautiously stepped forward, eyeing her friends for confirmation before embracing her mother. She breathed in deeply for the first time in hours, inhaling the smell of hazelnut and honey that Felicity's skin emitted. Was this home at long last? In her mother's tender grasp, Carolyn decided she would welcome the flood of happiness rushing towards her. Just this once.

Felicity smiled warmly through her tears. "Finally," she whispered. The three embraced for a few more moments before she reluctantly pulled away. "Here, let's get you cleaned up," she said, nodding to the scrapes and bruises that littered their skin. The queen led them through the dilapidated corridors, stepping over piles of shattered glass or dodging rotting wood beams.

They entered a dimly lit room with bottles of herbs and tonics scattered across shelves attached to the stone walls. Some of the supports had collapsed, therefore blocking entry to the second half of the room yet the walls still held.

Felicity gestured for the four to sit before she grabbed clean strips of cloth from a small trunk and doused them in fragrant oils. She repeatedly stole loving glances at her daughters before tending to their wounds.

"I don't understand," Robin started. "I saw you as a child, but not since then. How have you survived for so long?"

"Robin Hood of Locksley," Felicity began with a radiant smile. "I'm sure you know plenty about staying alive." She paused, handing him a rag doused in lavender oil. "Besides, the Villains didn't rob people of their good hearts—I've survived only with the help of others."