♚ C H A P T E R • T H I R T Y - N I N E ♚

__________
"If you know the enemy and know yourself youneed not fear the results of a hundred battles." – Sun zu
__________

The house was abuzz as everyone awoke early the next morning, determined to gather the needed supplies to return to Fabula later that afternoon.

            Felicity, Anthony, and Silvia looked over the map one last time as Carolyn, Bailey, and Aura scurried around the house to fill up their satchels with extra food.

            The sound of the doorbell made everyone jump. Anthony unsheathed his sword as Robin loaded his arrow, aiming at the door.

            Aura cautiously looked through the peephole, worried more for the poor unsuspecting visitor on the other side. The mailman will have so many questions. She let out a deep breath when all she saw was Jake standing on the front porch in a light jacket. "It's okay, you guys."

            She opened the heavy door and smiled at him. "Hey."

            Jake sheepishly smiled back at her. "Hey! I, uh, was just coming by to check in after you had texted you were back." He glanced over her shoulder at Felicity, Anthony, and Robin, who were already dressed in their gear. "And it looks like you're already heading back?"

            Aura shuffled back and forth on her feet, the thick leather of her boots letting out small squeaks. "Um...yeah, look I really appreciate you coming around to check in, but now's not a really good time."

            "Well is there anything I can do to help?" Jake jerked his thumb behind him to his car. "Even if it's just to get yous guys some coffee?"

            "No!" Aura exclaimed holding out her hand, thinking about Robin the day prior when he discovered the caffeinated beverage. She cleared her throat, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear. "Thank you for the offer, but the last thing some of us need is coffee."

            "So nothing else then?" Jake said through a forced laugh, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets.

            Aura was silent for a second, tugging on her ear. It pained her to see the hurt in his eyes, she knew how much we wanted to help; however, the idea of seeing him that beat up again sent a wave of nausea racing through her system.

            "Oh for Pete's sake, let the man in," Carolyn called from the stairs. She walked towards them, looping her fingers through her hair as she finished styling it into a braid. "Of course you can help, come on in."

            Aura hesitated before she opened the door wider as Jake stepped inside, wiping his sneakers on the floor mat. As he slowly walked further into the house, Aura pulled Carolyn close and gave her a stern look. "What are you doing? Last time he went to Fabula he got hurt, I don't want that happening again," she whispered.

            "First off, we all get hurt each time we go to Fabula," Carolyn whispered back. "And second, we need all the manpower we can get. There's no telling how many or how little people got Mom's call."

            Aura let out a deep breath before catching up to Jake and leading him into the living room. "Uhm Jake, these are my parents. Mom, Dad," she paused as a small smile grew on her face as she said the two names she never thought she'd have an opportunity to speak, "this is Jake, my um..." He looked down at her with a small smirk as she tried to come up with the correct word. Aura cleared her throat. "...he's here to help."

            Anthony walked around the table to stop in front of Jake, standing a few inches taller. He shook Jake's hand firmly, asking, "Pleasure. Do you know how to wield a sword—or a weapon of any kind?"