Chapter 2- The Sorting Hat

1st September 2017
"Scorpius Malfoy!" Proffessor Longbottom called my name as the the Great Hall fell silent. Proffessor Longbottom was the Herbology teacher, Head of Gryffindor and Deputy Head. He had been only appointed second in charge last year after Professor McGonagoll retired the year before. Rumor had it she had packed her bags just before Harry Potter's first child started at Hogwarts- even though no one knows for sure, Dad said he wouldn't blame her! Professor Miratio is now Headmistress; she managed Hogwarts with a the wondrous flick of the wrist and a kind smile.

The day all round had been hetic. Mum running around the house trying to drag me and Dad out of bed had been the first adventure. It was a bit of an understatement to say she was excited about her one and only child starting Hogwarts. "Come on Scorp, eat up your breakfast! You'll need all that energy for your journey to Hogwarts! Sweet Slazar- I can't believe it...." Dad let her natter on while I quietly pushed my ceral around the bowl. Don't get me wrong I was exhilarated to be finally going the school, but I couldn't help but feel I tiny bit anxious. What House would I get? What if I failed all the classes? What if I made no friends? Not the most posotive thoughts I know but (give me some credit) it was a very daunting situation.

Sitting in the train carriage, I let out a sight of relief. Although I had hugged and said farewell to my parents, I couldn't wait to get out of their sight! Mum was so hysterical she was on the verge of tears and Dad had become very, very tense. I suppose there were a lot of his school 'friends' mingling around Platform 9 3/4 that he'd much rather avoid. It didn't take a genius to work out he was uncomfortable around them and I knew he hadn't had the best of times at Hogwarts. Sitting in the carriage I talked to two of my friends- Jade Zabini and Issac Nott. We had grown up together as our parents were close so it was only natural that we sat together talking about this new chapter of our lives. Jade was a tall, athletic girl with long chocolate-coloured hair that framed her squared face. Her deep brown eyes illuminated her caramel skin and even before puberty hit her- she was incredibly pretty. You might think that I had a crush on her or something but I really didn't. She was like a sister and that was all she'd ever be. Sitting next to her, Issac ruffled his dirty blond hair making it stick out in odd places. He was skinny as a stick and a bit of a joker; his drive to make a good pun was admirable!

The train rolled along, enduring through the English then Scottish weather. "What house do you reckon you'll get?" Jade asked calmly. She was very laid back and starting at Hogwarts didn't seem to phase her. The only thing that made her shoulders tense up and bit her lip was a good game of Quidditch; whether watching it or playing it. I knew this question would inevitably come up, but that didn't mean I had an answer. "Even though my mum's a Gryffindor," stated Issac, "I reckon I'll get Slytherin." Jade suppressed a small smile, "Yeah me too." I glanced out the window- thinking and wondering about what was going to happen to me when we finally arrived at Hogwarts. I just wished it would be over so I could start the year with a bit of confidence. "What about you Scorpious?" Issac questioned me, snapping me out of my thoughts. His eyebrows were a little furrowed and if you looked closely enough, you could see the nerves slightly radiating off his skin. It may seem a little harsh but his tense aurora gave me some comfort. At least I wasn't the only one worried. "I'm not sure," I murmured, quieter than intended. After a brief awkward pause, Jade changed the subject to her father's Quidditch shops and the mention of Houses were forgotten.

So now here I was. I sat down on the stool as Proffessor Longbottom placed the Sorting Hat on my head. Sweat quivered on my upper lip as my eyes darted around the Great Hall; watching the hundreds of people sitting and intrigued. I picked at the skin around my left thumb (a habit I had picked up when I was nervous) and listened to what the Sorting Hat had to say...
"Well, well, well, another from the line of Malfoy. But you are a little different aren't we. Very observant I see, but you don't use it to your advantage like a Slytherin would, hey? No, you use to help others... So which one shall I put you in. I ought to put you in Slytherin." There was a slight pause before the Sorting Hat continued. "Oh fuck it," it mumbled before exclaiming for all to hear, "Hufflepuff!"

I stood up, dazed and dumbfounded; slowly but surely making my way to the Hufflepuff table.