Chapter 16- The Daunting Situation

Dear Scorp,

Hoping everything is okay down your end and your classes are going well. Do your best to make us proud, yes?

Let's just get to the point. When we got a letter from Professor Kate telling us that you had been in a fight with an older student (and one from our house, Slytherin) we were deeply upset and shocked. It's not very like you to be like that. And even more, when we received no letter from you explaining the situation, we were very worried. However, after receiving another letter from Professor Mirartio telling us exactly your intent for causing this boy harm, we were at least a little relieved.

I know we probably shouldn't be, but we are both so proud of you. Punching Flint's boy maybe wasn't the best way to deal with the situation, but you will soon learn your lesson- I am sure- with the appropriate punishment Professor Wheeler has given you. However, standing up for the two first years, in the face of a bully, is something we are very proud of. What we have taught you about everyone being equal- not depending on blood, gender, sexuality, background or whatever- is something you have honestly taken to heart. If anything we have taught you as parents, and you have listened to, is that message- then we are very happy.

Before I go, I just want you to know, with Christmas coming up soon (ish) - if you want to spend the holidays at Hogwarts, or with a friend you are more than welcome to. I know this a tough time you are going through with everything and so if you want a break from us, we understand. I just want you to know that we both love you very much.

Hugs and kisses,

Mum xxxxxx

You would think a nice, reassuring, comforting letter from my dear Mum would have made me feel better, right? Well I'm afraid, it didn't.

Obviously, the fact that my parents weren't mad at me or (even worse) disappointed in me, was a relief. Nothing would be crappier than them hating me even more. Okay, I know they didn't hate me, but it wasn't far off.

However, there were a few things in this letter that caused me discomfort. First of all, Mum referred to Stuart Flint as 'Flint's boy'. What did that imply? Did my parents personally know Flint's father? Had they known each other from their days at Hogwarts, or was it somewhere else- like from Voldemort's inner circle?

Secondly, my Mum hadn't mentioned my Dad's name once- even with use of the word us. Us, us, us. Did he actually mean anything Mum had said in the letter, or was it just Mum trying to make me believe he was? 'Us' had been the closest I'd heard from Dad since that fateful night on the eve of second year. I didn't even know what to think about it anymore. Was he mad at me for forcing him to revisit his past? Or was it all just me, scared of what he was, or what I might become? The questions swimming around my head, were beginning to drown me.

The final thing that made my insides squirm and face crack with sadness- was all about Christmas. Did they not want me to come home? I knew things were bad at home, but not that bad. I couldn't believe Mum was just putting in a polite way that I shouldn't come home. I can never remember a Christmas without my family. Mum, Dad, Grandma and I- all together. They were the only family I had, and all I needed. Well apart from my Al, Rosie and all the rest.

"What's up?" I awoke from my thoughts to see Rosie staring at me intently. It was just the two of us in the Library today- Al had managed to get himself a detention in Potions, the stupid shit. Rosie's questioning face was very familiar; her face was often scrunched in curiosity. However today, this expression was aimed at me.

"Just read it," I sighed, whilst handing over the letter from my Mum. Long ago we had got over the barrier of privacy. I watched as she took the letter carefully, as her face changing as she scrutinized each sentence, word and letter. Her dazzling eyes darted across the page-reading back and forth- as a deep frown set on her face. In a matter of minutes, she looked up and handed the letter back to me. Folding it quickly, I placed it in my backpack; wanting to hide it from the rest of the world. Maybe if I pretended it wasn't there- it would truly disappear.

"I can ask if you want to stay over mine at Christmas, if you want?" Her words came as a shock. I was half expecting her to question me on every thought I had, every feeling. Analyse every single letter, written in my Mum's intricate handwriting. Figure it all out. But she didn't. She just spoke those words, innocently and attentively- having no idea what kind of impact that had on me.

In all fairness, it did make sense. Al and his family had decided to go away for Christmas this year- trying to get a break from their insane family, I presume. Romania was where they were headed- to stay with their Uncle Charlie, see all types of Dragons, and visit Al's Godfather Hagrid- who had moved out there after his retirement as Gamekeeper and Care for Magical Creatures Professor at Hogwarts, a few years ago. Al hadn't said much about it, other than he was excited to see the dragons, but Rosie hadn't let the subject drop. 'Why do you have to go Al?' 'I'm going to be all by myself at Christmas!' Though in my opinion, being with your other hordes of relations was hardly being alone. But still, that wasn't enough for dear Rosie. But having me for company- that could work...

"Yeah, why not," I said, not really having control over the words spilling past my lips.

"Cool! I'll start writing my Mum a letter!" The Herbology essay was soon discarded, a letter to Hermione Weasley was soon on it's way.

Watching Rosie with a new determination kicked my brain back in gear. What was I doing? Spending Christmas with the Weasleys, and not only that, with a certain one that broke my nose mere months ago- that was surely a sign if trouble. But there was no going back now. Rosie scrawled across the page, before signing her name; the letter was done in record time. Without even a glance back in my direction- she rushed off to the Owlery; leaving me in apprehension of what I could possibly expect to come of this daunting situation.

AN: Sorry I'm not updating as much as I would like you, but I do promise I will continue this story! I'm afraid this is going to be a long one though......possibly around 70 chapters...... But don't let that put you off! Thanks again for reading, voting and commenting! And if you want to see anything else from me, or just want to talk to someone about something, feel free to pm me x OD