Chapter 3- The First Day

2nd September 2017
My dear Scorpius,
Don't be worried dear. I can tell you were from your letter. We are so happy and proud of you that we would never let anything like that stop us from loving you.
I'm going to be honest with you; both your parents were a little shocked that you were placed in Hufflepuff, not Slytherin like the generations before you. But I wasn't. Actually I had a hard time myself trying to convince the Sorting Hat to place me in Slytherin, not Hufflepuff. Don't tell anyone. I'm just pleased that you are able to be who you truly are. We all love you unconditionally and no one would ever reject you due to this. Especially your Dad as he had a hard time from his own father.
However, we are a little surprised by that ruddy Sorting Hat! Me and your mother both expressed interest in owling Proffessor Miratio about the disgrace of it swearing in front of a first year! Your father did manage to talk us out of it after he'd recovered from his laughing fit though I'm not entirely convinced....
Anyway, hope to hear from you soon.
Lots of love
Grandma Narcissa xxx

A joyful grin spread across my lips. I had completed my first full day at Hogwarts and hearing from my Grandma just put 'the icing on the cake' as Muggles say.

The rest of the Sorting Ceremony went by in blur- but it was fair to say I wasn't the only surprise. Rose Weasley had been put in Ravenclaw (away from her Gryffindor parents), but the biggest shock was Albus Potter; joining Jade and Issac in Slytherin.

After Jade rushed over to the Slytherins- with a glistening beam of pride- the feast began. Piles and piles of glorious food filled the tables and I immediately took my first grab at the sausage rolls. However, I wasn't the only one with the same idea- as two other hands also snatched up a handful. I looked up to inspect my fellow food lovers and was greeted with two identical smirks. "Hey I'm Logan," said the boy directly opposite me, "And this is my twinny, Toby."
"It's Tobias!" the boy to my right cried, bumping his brothers shoulder. Between their curly brown hair and their genuine smiles; I could already tell that we were going to be friends for a long time. "We're the Wheeler twins! We aren't identical though," Logan stated making sure I had taken in the fact, "He's uglier!" Most normal siblings would then pick a fight, but Tobias just simply rolled his eyes before asking, " What's your name then?"
"Scorpious Malfoy," I replied, no longer nervous, "Sorry to ask, but did you say your surname was Wheeler? Proffessor Wheeler is Muggles Studies teacher and Head of Hufflepuff, right?"
"You did your homework Scorpious!" Logan exclaimed before Tobias politely informed me, "Proffessor Kate Wheeler is our auntie, our mum's little sister. We'll introduce you to her later."
"Our mum's a Healer at St. Mungo's, Head of the Children's section." Logan pronounced proudly, "Dad's a muggle working at a Muggle hospital. What do your parents do?"

We spent the rest of the meal talking about our families and magical experiences and I learnt quite a few things about the boys. They had a five year old sister called Scarlett and there mum was also Muggle-born like them. I told them of my dad working in Magical Law Enforcement, Muggle-born rights (which they were very impressed with) and my Mum and Grandma working in their bookshop- Malfoy 's Fantastical Fiction which is how Mum and Dad met.

The next morning, after enjoying a beautiful bacon sandwich; I entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom with Logan and Tobias- our first ever lesson shared with the Slytherins. I was a bit on edge to see Issac and Jade as we hadn't spoken since the ceremony, but Jade gave me a swift wave and smile across the room and Issac called me over to his table. The class was set in tables of three- so as I took the third at the end of the row I glanced across to see Albus Potter staring straight back. "Al, Scorpius, Scorpius, Al," Issac introduced the fellow Slytherin bluntly as we both shyly said hi. I could tell he was nervous from the way he positioned his body- hunched over the desk with his dark brown fringe flopping in front of his eyes.

As the lesson commenced with Proffessor Creevy finally arriving (only 7 1/2 minutes late), he set the class to work on Fire Crabs- I sat, trying to scribble as many notes on my parchment as possible though it was very hard to concentrate with Issac chatting in my ear. Apparently his Dad reminded him of a Fire Crab as he (and I quote) 'can shoot flames from his arse too'. The lesson ended with the only interaction being between me and Albus being an ocassional eye roll or shake of the head aimed at Issac.

I managed to spend the day getting through all my lessons, often sitting with Logan and Tobias- until we came to Potions. I was possibly most excited for this lesson that we took with the Ravenclaws as Dad had said it was one of his favourites and Proffessor Lapthorn took it. Arianne Lapthorn Remerac was not only Head of Slytherin but part of our family-friends crew. She is married to the Head of Ravenclaw and Charm teacher Professor Oliver Remerac though she used her maiden name when teaching so she wouldn't confuse everyone! Dad told me that when they were all at Hogwarts she had made a bet on Mae (Issac 's mum) and Theo Nott getting married- she won 10 galleons for it! With long blonde hair and a curvy figure she had maintained from having no kids- she stood at the front of the class with an essence of great purpose.

We all began to to find seats at the various benches dotted around but Proffessor Lapthorn promptly stopped us. "Listen up class. Stop what you are doing." We all came to a halt, in awe of the great authority she had already thrown over us. "I have decided to pick your Potions Partner who you will be with and sit next to for the rest of the year. I have put Ravenclaw with Hufflepuff, boy with girl in order to mix you all up and make some new friends across the houses." Everyone seemed to stir at her words; anxious about who they will be paired with. "These have been picked randomly and no changes can be made. First of all: Logan Wheeler." Logan stepped foreward, a cautious grin across his face. "You will be at this front bench with Ivy Mackintosh." A young-looking shy girl with wispy brown hair and a pale complexion made her way over to Logan- his tall frame cowering over her.

One by one, students were paired up with each other til I heard my name. "Scorpius, darling," the stern Professor said with a friendly smile (probably the friendliest she had been since the lesson began). " You'll be partnered with." There was a slight pause in anticipation as she checked the piece of parchment with our names on. "Ah, yes. Here you are. Rose Weasley."