Chapter 14- The Happily Squished Carriage

AN: Sorry this has taken a while! I've been quite busy these past few weeks but I will try and update as much as I can. Keep reading, voting and commenting!

"GRYFFINDOR!" The Sorting Hat announced to the entire Great Hall, as Leandra Finnegan joined her fellow classmates. From the brief encounter I had of her, Al and I had learnt that her full name was in fact Leandra Finnegan- taking Seamus' name 'because he was the bottom' she had said, whatever that meant- but she'd much preferred if we just called her Lee. With that, she had whisked herself off to the other end of the train- before Al and I had even had a chance to recover. It was no surprise when later that day, the confident, extroverted bundle of enthusiasm was admitted to the house of bravery.

The Sorting Hat was picking houses for the new first years so quickly, it was hard to catch up; but one thing Tobias, Logan and I did manage to keep track of was the ten wizards and witches who would be joining Hufflepuff. A mixture of nervous and excited younger students were quickly filing up the remaining seats on our table- their cute inexperienced faces, making me feel a lot older than I actually was. It is true that there was only a year separating these newbies and me, but in a year I felt I had learnt so much. It was not just about my family history, it was also all that magic that was at my fingertips; potential just waiting to be released with a flick of my wrist and a conjoining spark.

The Sorting Hat, however, had not finished sorting the remaining first years in the appropriate house. "Lyra Nott," Issac's little sister was called by Professor Longbottom, and I turned to make eye contact with him across to the Slytherin table. I gave a reassuring smile- wishing both siblings good luck- not only to Issac, but to Jade and Al who sat by his sides. Rotating so I now faced center stage, I watched Lyra's face squirm as the Sorting Hat decided her fate. After the longest consideration the Sorting Hat had acquired this evening-it finally made its decision. "HUFFLEPUFF!" Lyra, as bewildered and dumb-founded as I must have looked upon my own Sorting Ceremony, made her way over to our table. Issac later told me it must me have been his mum's parents- as both had been in Hufflepuff. Whatever was the cause- it didn't matter. I joined our house in applauding our new member; mentally promising the Nott's I would look after her.

The Nott's might be doing okay, but I still hadn't told anyone about the current Malfoy situation. Al and Rosie were my priority, but I wanted to tell them in private (without twelve other ears listening in) which I hadn't been able to do yet. Once Leandra, then James had left Al and I on the train, we ventured down to try and find our own compartment. As we dragged ourselves along to peak in every window, we came to a conclusion that the entire train was full. We were almost at the end of the train by now (I would have given up by now, but Al persevered on) - our determination was just inches away from collapsing, before we realized who was sat in the carriage.

"Hey! Come join us!" an explosive Ara bounded up to the door and let us in. Behind her was Ivy- a timid smile, but welcoming all the same- and Rosie, who practically pounced on us as soon as we had stepped inside the comfy train compartment. "Hey," I replied politely, seen as Al was too preoccupied with swearing under his breath from his Weasley ambush. We put away our trunks and sat with the Ravenclaw bunch. Ivy quickly returned herself to the muggle book she had been reading whilst I joined in the heated the debate that Rosie and Ara had continued. "The ending was brilliant! How could you have not liked it?" Rosie was practically screeching. When she was passionate about a certain subject, it made her very feisty. It was kind of cute. "It was an awful reflection of the plot. The author was just trying finish the book as soon as they could." I retorted coolly- no way was Rosie getting away with this. "See! Even Scorpius agrees with me! What have been saying this whole time? The ending is poorly written admit it!" Ara matched Rosie's ferociousness with the same capacity- though slightly less contained as her arms flung about as she made each point. "Merlin, you're such nerds." Al's unhelpful comment was responded with as we all stuck out our tongues at him, just before the carriage door swung open once more.

"The Queen is here bitches!" Issac announced his arrival before flinging himself onto the cushioned bench- consequently bumping right into Al. Issac was swiftly followed by an eye-rolling Jade who seemed to be lugging both of their trunks, and my fellow Hufflepuffs- Logan and Tobias. "Hey there," Logan placed himself on my left with his confident smile, leaving Jade and Tobias to raise the trunks above our heads. The rest seemed ignorant to the pink blush the flushed against Tobias' cheeks as he talked quietly to Jade, but I didn't. Though I didn't say anything- I could possibly use this to blackmail Tobias for History of Magic notes later.

The carriage had now become quite a squeeze. Ara, me, Logan and Tobias on the right with Ivy, Rosie, Issac and Jade facing us. Our feet brushed one another and elbows digging into each other's sides- but no one cared. The people all sat around me, I realized, had become some of the people I cared about most in the world. Jade and Issac were friends I had grown up with- the closest things I had to a brother and sister. Logan and Tobias were honestly the nicest people I have met- I always felt comfortable in their presence, even when we weren't directly speaking to each other. Rosie and Al had become my best friends- we instantly clicked and I wouldn't know what I'd do without them. Ivy and Ara I didn't know quite as well- but I made it my mission this year to change that.

"You still there Scorpius?" Rosie, sitting directly across from me leaned forward with a mischievous smirk (one often adopted by Al). The laughter and conversations of these amazing witches and wizards carried on around us, but Rosie never missed a beat; that girl was such a mystery. "Yeah, just deep in thought," I replied after coming out of my trance.

"I would ask you what's going on up there," she said indicating to my messed-up brain. Her bright hair had been growing out the past year, now coming down past her shoulders. Curly wisps caressed her face- her piercing green eyes hitting me with some unknown power. "But honestly, I would rather not know." A light chuckle passed our lips and we joined in with the conversation around us.

The plates filled and the feast began. My thoughts were drawn back from the happily squished carriage and I immersed myself in the atmosphere around me- distracting myself from the pain I had left behind at Platform 9 ¾.