Chapter 6- The Untold Truth

AN: watch this video as a tribute to those lost in the Second Wizarding War. One of the best I've seen and I swear to god I cry everytime.

Releasing a deep heavy sigh, I placed my cheek on the palm of my hand; squishing it between my fingers. It was last period after lunch and I wished I could just curl up in a ball and sleep. However, it was History of Magic and it was my turn for note making duty; while the Wheelers took their time off. The lesson hadn't even begun and they already had their heads on the desk; tousled curls flurried everywhere as the breathed deeply through their parted lips. The one thing I had learnt during our History of Magic lessons was that Logan and Tobias looked even more innocent than they already were when in deep dreams.

It was just after the May half term; Christmas had been and gone along with the rest of the year and it was the first Monday of our final term as first years. Looking across our large row; one of my best friends, Rose Weasley sat beside me looking eager and ready to learn- I don't know how she does it! Beside her were two of her friends from Ravenclaw; Ivy was currently debating with her best friend Ara Mun about something to do with the founding of the Misistry (Merlin knows what). Ara was originally born in South Korea (Korean being her first language) but moved to muggle Birmingham when she was 5 due to her mother getting a job working for the Ministry. She spoke 6 languages including English, French and Troll; she was also currently giving a go at Parseltounge! Her long black hair was slicked into the usual pony tail and she was constantly jumping out of her seat; this bubbly extrovert was the complete opposite of her timid friend. However, the had stuck together the whole year- proving the opposites do work well together.

"Right!" Professor Ennui pronounced. She was originally from France but had been personally invited by Proffessor Miratio herself to come over and teach at Hogwarts. She may have been a good teacher, but I wouldn't really know- her lessons were so tedious (Rosie told me her name was boredom in French) I couldn't ever focus properly! "Ve vill start today with zee new unit! Ve vill be learning about zee Second Vizarding Var as the 20th anniversary has just been and past!" This got my full attention.

Earlier in the day, our DADA teacher Proffessor Creevy had given a short speech before the lesson began stating why he had become a Proffessor. "As you may or may not know; the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts was in the break." He had announced after the class had settled. "Which is also the anniversary of my brother's death." The class spoke in hushed whispers; no one even knew he had a brother, let alone that he died in the Second Wizarding War! "He died fighting bravely; not just to protect himself but to protect me and everyone else. His bravery inspired me to teach and pass it on to the younger generation; so you are all able to protect yourself or one another if any danger does occur." The scruffy Proffessor was often a cheerful chap- trying to squeeze as many practicals and enjoyment into our lessons as possible; this sombre note had taken us all by surprise. However, after a swift discret wipe of the eye and a heavy exhale- the lesson carried on as if nothing happened- but leaving a troubled thought in my head.

In the duration of the History of Magic class, I had found myself listening to every word that spilled out of Proffessor Ennui's mouth. Even though the lesson had only been an introductory to this unit; I had found myself learning more than I had ever known about what had happened- and this deeply troubled me. Several times I had queried about the war to my parents but never got much of an answer. Mum would tell me the basics of the rise of Voldemort and his Deatheaters and how Harry Potter and his friends defeated him in the final battle- but she never mentioned much else. It was pretty obvious to see that my father didn't even want to utter a word on the subject (probably due to Lucius' involvement) as he always clammed up or closed his eyes tight- as if trying to block it from his memory. A couple of years ago I had asked about my unfamiliar grandfather; which had resulted in my mother pulling me out of the room and telling me about how Lucius had been involved with the Deatheater clan. She had then promptly ordered to never bring up the subject again as it was very sensitive for my father. I had obeyed- not wanting to upset him any further.

Nevertheless, I was curious as to what happened in the War. Leaving the class, me and Rosie left to go to the Library where Al was already sitting waiting for us. We sat in our usual places as Rosie handed me and Al her Potions essay to copy that was due first tomorrow; which she had done the day we got it and we hadn't bothered. "What do you two know about the Second Wizarding War?" I opened with the question before we'd even greeted each other- getting straight to the point. "Quite a bit actually, why?" Rosie answered, intrigued to where the conversation was going. "Well I don't know much about it. Whenever I mentioned it at home Dad would tense up and Mum would give me looks that could probably kill old Voldy himself! I just tred carefully around the topic."

"Hmm," Rosie replied in thought, "It was hard for my parents as well to tell me about it to. Mum handed me all the books she could find about it and told me to ask if i had any questions- then left me to it. They found it difficult to open up but they do when necessary. What about you Al?" Al looked up, a bewildered expression on his face- he had been so engrossed in his cousin's work. After a few seconds he recovered and spoke, "My Dad gave me the talk about it a few years back. Told me quite a lot which is pretty surprising considering his Post Traumatic Stress. Your Dad probably suffers from that too, Scorpius." He said directing his words utterly onto me. "Both of our parents suffer from it and I really wouldn't be surprised if your Dad did too. Considering all he went through."

"What!?" I said so loudly that I got a evil stare from the Librarian. I would usually apologise instantly but I was too shocked and intrigued to bother. A sickening twist filled my stomach, "What do you mean 'considering what my Dad went through'? I know my grandfather Lucius Malfoy was a convicted Deatheater, but my Dad had nothing to do with it!"
"What!" It was Rose's turn to exclaim, earning a few more glares and hushes from the agitated Librarian but we hastily ignored it. "Don't you know? You're Dad was a deatheater Scorpius."

My eyes widened in shock. I tried to speak but nothing came out. It couldn't be true. My Dad- a Deatheater? The man I looked up to, aspired to be, loved. Lied to me?
"I can't believe you didn't know Scorp." Al spoke soothingly, the most sympathetic I had ever seen him. "I don't know a lot but my Dad mentioned that the Malfoys had been involved with the rise of Voldemort and that I shouldn't judge you because of it. For all we know, he could have been forced or did nothing for the cause." He looked across at Rose for help and conformation. She nodded before saying, "That's what my Mum told me too. My Dad wasn't so...." Her voice trailed off before starting up again, "We need to find out the truth Scorpius! There is one book I've never read on the War which would probably tell you about your Dad. It has all the details of the War- there is just one small problem." She looked from side to side; at me, then Al. I couldn't quite tell whether she was scared or excited- and that confused me. I could usually read people like an open book, but Rosie was sometimes difficult. I found she could often be a mystery. My train of thought was snapped back off from Rosie and to the real topic at matter. "The book is called 'The Second Wizarding War; the full story' and was written by my very own mother. I'm not allowed to read it yet though- I have to wait until I'm older. But I know where a copy is. The Restricted Section."

Rather than saying that last part as a fact- Rosie announced it like a dare, a challenge. But the looks between the three of us confirmed it all, we were willing to arise to the occasion. I didn't care how we'd do it, or what would happen if we were caught- I knew I needed to do this. Determined to find out the untold truth, I nodded in agreement to my friends.