~Chapter 4~

"What is it this time Lexi? Did Brendon finally admit to dating Sasha?" Lexi rolls her eyes at me. "No silly! Guess who made it into the yearbook this year?!?"
I start to get excited. "Oh my gosh! Are you serious?!?" Lexi smiles broadly and nods her head. "Yeah! Look!"

I eagerly take her phone and look at the screen. The article is titled: Senior Hall Of Fame. I finally spot my name.

Mandy Shade: Class Clown.

I roll my eyes and hand Lexi her phone. "Look! Look! Look! There's me!" She shoves her phone into my face.

Alexis Hallagan: Most Likely To Become Famous.

She shows me another entry.

Grayson Connors:Hottest Senior.

Seeing that, I forget to breathe and start coughing. Lexi laughs as I try to breathe correctly. "Is this...is this the final copy?" Lexi nods her head sadly. "That's what the yearbook committee told me." "Did the yearbook committee also tell you not to show anyone yet?" Lexi rolls her eyes. "Whoops..." I laugh and shake my head at her. "Thanks for showing me anyway." She smiles and hugs me. "No problem. Best friends tell each other everything."

A wave of guilt washes over me as I process her words. Best friends aren't supposed to hide things from each other, and that's exactly what I'm doing to her with Grayson. I take a deep breath as Lexi lets go. "Listen Lexi..." Her hazel eyes stare at me. "...I haven't been honest with you recently."

A frown begins to form on Lexi's face. "What do you mean Mandy? I thought we told each other everything?" I sigh. "I know, which makes me feel even worse about this. You see, the truth is, I didn't break up with Grayson. Grayson broke up with me. That's why when he texts me, I get really freaked out about it."

Lexi shakes her head at me, her curly chestnut hair bouncing up and down. "Oh Mandy. I am so sorry. Why didn't you tell me this earlier? I could have taught him a lesson for breaking your heart." I look down. "I didn't tell you because I knew you'd react like this. You would want to go and beat him up, and as much as I appreciate your concern, I don't want you hurting anyone for my sake."

Lexi comes over and hugs me as I continue staring at the ground. "Just remember Mandy. If you ever feel down or need assistance, just tell me and I'll be right there." I look at Lexi and smile. "Thanks Lexi." "What are friends for?"

"Since I'm getting everything off of my chest, Grayson stopped me today. He wants to get back together with me." Lexi lets go and stares at me. "You didn't say yes, did you?" I rub my arm nervously. "I told him that I'd think about it." "Good."

Lexi looks at her phone. "Man. I have to go. I should have been home five minutes ago. I'll talk to you tomorrow. See you later!" Lexi hugs me again before leaving. I wave before going back into the house. I silently climb up the stairs, hoping Adam doesn't hear me because I really needed some alone time. I let out a sigh of relief as I shut my bedroom door quietly.

"Finally! I've been waiting for you forever Mandy! What were you and Lexi talking about?" Adam sits in the middle of the floor holding his blue rabbit. Surprised, I jump slightly. "Geez Adam! What did I tell you about scaring me like that and what did I tell you about being in my room?" Adam looks down. "Sorry. I just really wanted to tell you about mine and Ryan's adventures." I sigh and sit down on my bed. Adam comes up and sits beside me.

"Okay buddy. What did you guys do today?" Adam's eyes sparkle with excitement as he begins his story. "So, me and Ryan were riding our tricycles around the neighborhood, like normal, when Sophie, that girl that I told you about who has a crush on me, came up to us on her bicycle and gave me a necklace, saying it was our anniversary gift." "Did you give it back Adam?" He shook his head. "I kept it because I thought you would look good in it."

As he is saying this, he unvelcroes the side of his rabbit and pulls out a necklace that has a big blue gemstone as it's pendant. He places it in my open hand. "I thought it matched your eyes."

Adam blushes slightly as I put it on. "Wow Adam! It's beautiful. Thank you." I reach over and hug him. He hugs me back before exiting my room. I get up and take the necklace off. I cross my room to my dresser. I grab my music box and place the necklace inside it.

As I open the lid, the soft melody floats out. I leave the box open for a little longer for it was playing a song I liked. When the song ends, I close it back up and pick up the book on Houdini. I look at the cover. Houdini:Magic In The Making. I set the book back down and lay back down on my bed. Suddenly, I feel exhausted, so I curl up into a ball and fall asleep.