~Chapter 15~

-Jarron's POV-

I throw the towel at Derrick before heading back to my room. I sit down on the edge of my bed and sigh before placing my head in my hands. Why does this have to be so hard? Why did Mandy have to enter my life? Why did she leave me with all of her grief? I get on the floor and reach under my bed. When I feel my fingers touch the neck of the bottle, I grab the bottle of Jack Daniels and pull it out. I open it and take a long drink from it. I am interrupted by a knock on the door. I chug the rest of it before answering.

"Go away!" The door starts to creak open. Annoyed by not being listened to, I throw the empty bottle at the door. Grayson ducks out of the way as the bottle goes off track and hits the wall and shatters. I swear under my breath. "Hey, um, Jarron? I wanted to talk to you." I roll my eyes. "Of course Mr. Perfect. You can waste some more of time. I bet you have plenty of time to waste."

Grayson sighs angrily. "You can drop the act with me man. I can see right through it." I don't say anything and look at the floor. He comes over and sits down beside me. "You only act this way because you're in pain. Come on. Tell me what happened."

A tear falls on the floor. "Amanda. That's what happened." There is a bit of silence. "She had powers too. We were in love. She warned me about them. I thought I could protect her..." I look over at Grayson, his face emotionless. "...they took her from me. Snatched her right out of my hand..."

Another tear hits the floor. "While they took her, she told me to stay put and not go after her. I listened, but I should have went after her. It could have turned out differently..." I clear my throat. "They took her into the forest. The next thing I hear is a gunshot. I took my chance and used my powers. I ran and didn't stop until I thought I was safe."

Several more tears hit the floor. There is more silence. I take a deep breath. "Just as I was getting over her, I met Mandy. She looks exactly like her. I don't know what to do Grayson." He takes a moment before responding. "If you like her Jarron, you have to tell her. That's the best advice I can give."

I wipe away the few remaining tears as we both stand up. I pull him into a big hug. "Thanks man." He hugs me back. "No problem." I let him go and we walk back out to the others.

-Mandy's POV-

I move away from Derrick at the sound of the approaching footsteps. Derrick straightens up as Grayson and Jarron come into the room. They both collapse into chairs, their eyes never leaving me. Grayson looks away from me as my cheeks turn pink. Finally, Derrick stands up and stretches.

"Well, would you look at the time! I think it's time for you to be getting home Mandy." Grayson stands up as well and gestures for him to sit back down. "I'll take her home." Derrick looks at him. "No. I'm taking Mandy home." "No you're not. I'm the one taking her home!" I roll my eyes as they get into each other's faces.

As they bicker, Jarron gets up and approaches me with an outstretched hand and a warm smile. "Let's get out of here before they notice we're gone." He winks as I get up and take his hand, and together we head to my house.

The sky is filled with pinks, reds, and oranges as the sun begins to set behind the houses. We are the only figures moving through the dying sunlight. Jarron's voice breaks the silence. "So how long have you known Grayson?" He stares forward as  I look over at him. "Since preschool, I guess. He was always the good kid growing up, very popular and athletic, the one all the girls wanted to be with. Me, on the other hand, was more of the social outcast, the reject, the girl no one wanted to hang out with." I sigh, reminiscing about the old days. "What were you like Jarron?" He looks over at me, slightly startled by my question. "Me? Home schooled. Sage and I both. We never put up with all of that drama. My mom thought it would be best for us since we have, you know, red hair." I nod, my mind thinking about Douglass, an exchange student from Ireland who got picked on for his ginger hair.