Chapter 1. The Nightmare

It was an early July evening, Nick and Judy were sitting at their desks sorting through the information of the shootings and the drug deals gone bad, when chief Bogo paged them to come into his office. "I wonder what he wants, carrots?" nick said.
"I do too, nick. He has never paged us like this before." Judy replied as they were walking up the stairs towards Bogo's office. Once inside he motioned for them to be seated.
"I just got word from my contacts on the inside, there's a deal going down tonight. I need you two to help set up a perimeter around the place, so none tries to make a break for it. Understood?" Bogo asked. They both looked at each other in amazement.
"You can count on us, sir." they said almost at the same time.
"Alright, I will be guiding the swat team inside and lead this operation, just make sure no one slips away." He added.
"Yes sir." they said and walked out the doorway. "This is so exciting, Nick! Bogo is finally starting to trust us and help in possibly dangerous situations like this!" Judy said excitedly.
"Just as I was excited about writing tickets while on parking duty." He replied teasingly. Judy gave him a weird look.
"Very funny, Nick." She said as she noticed his smirk.

Later that day when it was almost noon. "Hey carrots, I'm going to grab a bite or something, need anything or do you want to come with?" Nick asked.
"I'll come with, I need to stretch my legs from sitting at this desk too long." Judy replied as she grabbed her gear and headed out the door. Nick was driving the patrol car down 17th and Chestnut when he asked, "Where do you want to eat at, carrots?" as they came to a stop light.
"I don't care, Nick. I feel like eating anything, you pick." She replied.
"How about 'Kodiak Express'?" he asked.
"No, we just had Chinese two days ago. Pick something else, Nick." she said.
"Okay, how about 'Pandera's Bread', they have a good variety to choose from?" he asked again.
"But I just had a sandwich, and I don't want soup." She said. Nick was starting to get a headache.
"How about 'Grampa Jackrabbits', they have good pizza?" Nick was running out of ideas.
"Pizza sounds great, actually." Judy said, Nick was relieved to hear that she agreed to it. After grabbing a quick bite, they grabbed coffee at 'Tundra Bros. Coffee', before they headed back to the ZPD to finish their work, and to get ready for tonight. Nick and Judy were both excited about being in on this drug deal, and nervous about each other's safety, because the drug deal tonight is between two of the most feared dealers in all of Zootopia. The Wolfington Brothers, who have done everything from spiked chocolate to mammal smuggling, and the Shadow Fangs, they have done framing deals that have gone bad to guns for hire, and they were too dangerous for anyone to approach this case alone. This was the entire ZPDs first major lead in catching, and putting these criminals out of business, permanently.

Later that night, Judy and Nick dawned their gear and vests, the deal was going down in a little more than an hour and they had to be ready, because Bogo entrusted them with the outside perimeter so that none of the murderers and drug dealers escapes. Bogo had two swat teams and half a dozen squad cars, but trusted his choice in making Nick and Judy his backup team in case something goes wrong. It had just hit 9:30pm, everyone was getting ready and heading to their vehicle for this operation. It was a tense ten minute drive to the docks outside the city, Bogo's men on the inside said that there was a shipment coming in at 9:45pm, that's when the deal is going down. When everyone had got to the docks, it was past ten and everyone was in position for arresting the best of the worst criminals throughout Zootopia. Bogo's men were wearing wires so they could listen to what they had to say, "Careful with that!" one of them snarled, "it won't be worth jack if it's broken!" he was obviously the supervisor for the Wolfington's.
"Will you relax, your snarling is going to draw unwanted attention from the cops, and the boss won't be happy if their new shipment is confiscated!" the other replied sounding frustrated.
"Shut your yap! If I wanted a reminder of what the bosses will do to me if their load is taken, I would've asked. Do I make myself clear?" he hollered back.
"Crystal, sir." he replied.
"Good, the bosses should be here soon for this. In the meantime, try not to break anything till then." It sounded as if they were all tense about this, but it didn't matter. All of them were going down for this illegal shipment. "Everyone in position?" Bogo said quietly over the coms.
"Alpha in position."
"Delta in position."
"Gamma in position."
"Bravo in position." Came the responses. Nick and Judy were leading Bravo team in keeping the perimeter in check. Finally at half past ten, four dark cars drove up. Two had the Wolfington's, the others had the Shadow Fangs. Once all the vehicles had stopped, they all got out almost at the same time. The Wolfington Brothers walked over to their shipment and inspected to make sure none were broken or if any were missing, once everything checked out, they made their way to the Fangs. "Is what we were promised here?" one of the Shadow Fangs asked.
"Of course. Just making sure some of the crew on the ship didn't get greedy." The oldest Wolfington replied. "Is what you promised here?" he added. The Fangs each raised their suitcases and opened them, showing over $500 million dollars.
"A few extra, for your troubles. I know how hard getting both pure crystal and powdered coke across the borders are." The leader of the Fangs said.
"On my mark....." Bogo said as the Wolfington's shook hands with the Shadow Fangs. The Wolfington's gave them the keys for the big rigs and the Shadow Fangs gave them the suitcases filled with all that money. "Green light! Repeat, green light! Engage and take into custody!" Bogo gave the command. With lights and sirens, the ZPD descended on them like grasshoppers on a wheat field. "Oh no! It's the cops!" They yelled.
"ZPD, drop your weapons on the ground and put your hands in the air!" swat team Alpha demanded, but the criminals had other plans. They drew their weapons and an all-out firefight broke throughout the docks. Some tried making a break for it, but were stopped by, "Freeze! ZPD, drop your weapons!" Bravo yelled, and another firefight broke out. Both officers and criminals were being dropped on both sides, but Judy had put some other officers on a different side and caught them in a crossfire. They now had the upper hand in this, and was then over. The firefight that broke out had lasted a little more than an hour, but they had gotten three of the Wolfington Brothers and two of the Shadow Fangs. The Fangs' leader was hit in the shoulder while the fourth Wolfington was missing. "Where's my brother!" the oldest demanded, "I swear if he's dead I'll kill the ones responsible!" he said, wearing a muzzle and cuffs.
"Judy, do you mind reading his rights?" Nick asked as he walked him to one of the patrol cars.
"Sure, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you." Just as Judy had finished, she opened the car and Nick began putting him in.
"Watch your head." He said as he knocked his head on the top of the car door entrance and closed the door. Then it drove away with two of the three brothers in the car, Nick then took his vest off and began walking toward their vehicle, while Judy was next to him. "Well that was a stressful situation. Now I know why Bogo didn't want us to do stuff like this ahead of time." Nick said.
"Yeah, it's not a pretty sight when a fight breaks out like tonights." Judy replied as she began unstrapping her vest. Suddenly, Nick heard something on his right and looked. It was the youngest Wolfington, running right at them with a gun drawn! Nick only had a split second to react! "Carrots! look out!" he shouted as he jumped in front of her, pushing her out of the way and drew his weapon. Both Nick and the youngest Wolfington fired at the same time, their guns barking as one. The youngest was dropped instantly and didn't get up, Nick then hit the ground and propped himself against the vehicle. Judy got up and looked at Nick who was still holding his gun in the direction of the would-be shooter. She was going to thank him for saving her life, until he dropped his weapon, revealing his left hand holding his side and covered in blood.
"Nick! Officer down! I repeat, officer down!" she yelled over the coms and put her hands on Nick's side to help stop the bleeding. "I need an ambulance to my location ASAP! Nick, you're bleeding out! Hold still!" she said. Nick was laying up against the tire of their vehicle.
"Don't worry about me, carrots. I will be just.....*ngh.....just fine with you here....." he said.
"Nick, please stop. The ambulance is.....*sniff.....is almost here, save your strength." She said as tears began showing up in her eyes.
"It's.....it's nothing that won't heal, carrots." He said jokingly, but winced in pain.
"Stop it Nick.....*sniff....." she said as she put more pressure on his wound.
"Carrots.....if I don't.....don't make it, I.....I need to tell you something....." he said sounding weaker with each breath.
"Nick.....please stop.....*sniff.....please!" she said trying to fight the tears back.
"I.....I love.....*ngh.....I love you.....carrots, I love......" his hand on his side went limp and she felt air escape from his lips.
"Nick?.....Nick!.....No, please Nick stay with me! The ambulance is here, Nick!.....*sniff.....don't go Nick, I love you too!.....*sob.....I....I love you too....." she cried as she kissed him lightly on the forehead. The ambulance then rushed him to Zootopia Hospital, they tried CPR but nothing worked. Nick had lost too much blood and was later pronounced dead on scene, time of death was 12:36am approx. Judy was in the morgue with dried trails of tears on her face, and looked at her hands. Her hands were still covered in blood that had spilled from Nick's side, she had done everything she could, but it was too late. She thought of the way Nick had courageously jumped in front of herself, pushing her away and out of the pathway of the bullet that was meant for her. "If only I had.....*sniff.....had done this," she thought to herself. "Nick would still be alive if I had taken that bullet, I was the one still wearing a vest. It should have been me..... It should've been me!" she exclaimed and began crying again, then she put the sheet over his face and walked slowly out of the morgue. Leaving her pen that still had a recording on it. It was of Nick asking a very important question and Judy exclaiming "yes!" while she left tears trailing out into the hallway.