Chapter 18. A Discovery

It was later that night, Nick was still on the computer combing through data and information about both the missing mammals case, and the thumb drive that Jeremiah gave them. None of which proved fruitful, but he still went on for another hour. Finally, he found that certain symbols mean different things, like the serpents head represents unity and protection for all innocence. How this was the symbol that brought safety and reassuring to all that were protected by these guardians. There was some information about these guardians, they spoke of one that was dressed in white, while the other was cloaked in darkness. And was said that one who is cloaked in white, must have a shadow. An apprentice that stays behind his master, to watch and to learn from him.
"This speaks of what I saw on those tapes when Judy was taken, even though it was blurry, I still saw two figures that this describes." Nick thought to himself, and continued reading through everything.

After a few more minutes, he found something on the box, and why it was hidden. It explained that when someone has the box and opens it, they become irrational and greedy over it, violent even. Many animals have died over this box and its contents, many who were brothers and found the box, became strangers to each other and fought over it. The box also had an inscription burnt into it, right under the keyhole, though in a long forgotten language, very few are still able to read it. 'Those that have darkness in their hearts, will easily succumb to its poison. Those that want nothing but riches and glory in their lives, will be devoured by their own selfish desires, and will become like animals. They are lost in their own savageness. For those that want this more than anything, have already lost everything.' It was a warning and Nick was reading this so hard, that he almost didn't hear the door opening suddenly, that it made him jump so hard he fell out of his seat and onto the floor. Only to find that it was Judy entering through the doorway, almost laughing at what had just happened.
"Hey, sweetheart. How was work?" he asked, trying to play it off.
"It was okay, though we were still swamped with all these missing mammals. But someone from an adoption agency came and asked if we had found a young girl, and want her back." Judy replied, still exhausted from work.
"What was her name?" Nick asked as he picked himself up off of the floor, and walked over to Judy.
"I think it was Myriam?" she replied, sounding like she was second guessing herself.
"Wait.....Myriam?" Nick said with the wildest look in his eyes.
"Yes, why is that so significant?" Judy asked looking at him with a concerned look in her eyes.
"Is she in the predator category? A wolf?" Nick asked curiously, this time with a smirk.
"Yes, why are you looking at me like that?" she asked noticing his sudden interest in this part of the case.
"Because, Myriam was there with Jeremiah. Like a servant in my eyes, and Jeremiah never yelled at her, or got angry with towards her. Just talked to her in the softest voice. I think that he sees her as a daughter, because of how he treats her." Nick replied softly, and began to calm down.
"So, is Jeremiah taking mammals because he feels alone?" Judy asked as they both made their way into the living room, and sat down on the couch.
"I don't know, I didn't see any others there but Myriam." Nick replied, but decide that this was another question for another time until they know more. "I just remembered, carrots." He added as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the small drive for her phone.
"What does this do?" she asked as she began to study it.
"It makes it so your phone is able to go off of a satellite." Nick explained.
"From Jeremiah?" Judy asked, though she already knew the answer before he nodded. Nick then went to bed while Judy made a quick snack before doing the same, and both fell silently asleep.

That morning, Judy was awakened by her cell phone going off, and saw that is was Mr. Big.
"What would he want this early in the morning?" she thought before answering it.
"Hello? Is Judy there?" it was one of Mr. Bigs' men on the other side.
"Yes, this is she." She replied, still drowsy from last night at work.
"I am very sorry to wake you this early, but we've found something that is troublesome to Mr. Big. We don't yet know what to make of it, but he insists that both you and Nick come here immediately." He explained, but she could hear that it wasn't just Mr. Big that was troubled about this. Almost like he was frightened about whatever it was.
"Okay, we'll be there as soon as we can." She answered.
"Good, I'll inform him that you two are coming." Came the response, and both hung up. She then looked to her right to see Nick still sleeping.
"Nick, wake up, Nick." she said softly while shaking him in the same manner, and saw him slowly open his eyes to see her.
"Morning, carrots. What is it?" he asked and began to stretch.
"We're needed at Mr. Bigs' manor, he said it was urgent." She answered as she rubbed her eyes, before they got out of bed and had gotten completely ready.
"I missed this uniform." He stated as he walked out into the living room, while Judy was finishing her cup of coffee.
"Still looks nice on you, though." Judy commented as she saw him.
"It's a little loose than I remember." He stated, feeling a little annoyed by the loose feeling. Nick was finally able to able to return to the force, due to being hospitalized for a couple of weeks.