Chapter 19. Desolation

The next day, Judy and Nick were going through all the files in their case when they were called to security, and look at the footage from all the abductions.
"Did you find anything, Johnson?" Judy asked the guard that was going over all the tapes.
"Yeah, I can make out two figures in these tapes even though it is a little blurry." He replied while pointing at the screen where there was definitely two figures at different angles from the camera. One of them was a black figure that would grab the victims and put them in a dark vehicle, while the other seemed to be either on a rooftop or farther down the alley, so he wouldn't be seen.
"It looks like they are wearing armor?" Nick said as he leaned in to get a closer look.
"If it is armor, it's nothing I have ever seen before." Johnson stated, and looked at another tape. They examined each tape closely before he switched to a different camera, and tried making each image clearer so they can see it better. Just before he switched to another camera, Judy stopped him and zoomed in the corner of the camera and saw the white figure disappear behind two buildings.
"What camera is this shot taken from?" she asked, sounding confident. "This camera is in Tundra Town, on the corner of 9th and Icicle Lane. Do you think you know where this one is hiding?" he asked as he pointed to the screen with his pen.
"I think it's in this area, could you do a five block radius scan with the cameras and let us know of any possible hits around this area?" she asked as she motioned in a circular motion on the screen.
"Sure, I'll even put it on the map of all the known sightings, and notify both of you when I get the results." He replied with a smile as he got out a map of Tundra Town, and marked the first sighting that she pointed out. Nick and Judy left the office when they were done, and went back to their desks to finish working on this case.

Four more days went by, on a dry windy afternoon, when they were called to the security room again, this time he had a possible hit on the location of the white one.
"It's somewhere in this area." Johnson stated as he showed them on the map. He had outlined a circle around a city block in Tundra Town, inside were a bunch of houses, businesses, and construction sites, but there was one building that stood out to Judy.
"Hasn't this one been shut down for a couple of month's now?" she asked as she looked at the map, and pointed to one spot inside the outlined area.
"Yup, been that way for a while, but I never knew what for. It was a growing business that got a lot of customers and different offers from other companies, then they just closed their doors suddenly." He stated as he turned his desk chair to face them.
"Do you want me to get a squad ready?" he asked as he took a drink from his coffee.
"That won't be necessary, me and Nick will just recon the place. Even though it's the perfect hiding place, I just don't want to waste other officer's time if nothing turns up." Judy stated as she marked the coordinates in her phone.
"Alright, just thought you might need some backup in case this guy is there." He said as he looked back at the computer screen, and began to write some information down.

When they pulled up to the location of their possible hit, it looked almost as bad as when they found the map and key two months back, but was mostly still intact. This building still had almost all its windows whole, and didn't seem to be falling apart, but had seen better days.
"This time, try not to fall through the floor." Judy said teasingly as they walked up the steps towards the entrance.
"Ha-ha! Very funny." Nick replied with a smirk. Once inside, it almost had the same feeling of eeriness and gloominess, and the air felt heavy like it had been sitting dormant for the entire time it had been closed. It was darker than the other building that they went to, but was less dirty, misty, and webs. They turned on their flashlights and shone them all around the large room.
"I don't think it could get any creepier than this?" Nick stated out loud with a slight chuckle. Just then, a sudden snapping sound and a rush of metal broke through the silence, and then grew quiet once again.
"Spoke too soon.....again." Nick then said with some embarrassment. The hairs on the backs of their necks stood up, and felt a chill go up their spine, but they still had to check this place out and drew their weapons from their holsters. They decided to stick together this time, and moved slowly through each room, corridor, and hallway, but nothing could be found. As they made their way towards the final door, something moved behind them and turned around to see what it was, nothing but dust in the air behind them. Looking at each other, they knew they were being watched by an unknown presence, and continued to open the door which led to an abandoned elevator, which looked to be in pretty bad shape.
"This looks pretty sketchy, carrots." Nick said as he gave a questionable look to Judy.
"We need to know what's be down there though." She replied, and both walked in and pressed the only button that appeared to be functional in this thing. It creaked and groaned as it proceeded downwards, until it rested on the bottom floor which opened up into a large room.