Chapter 21. Assault

It had been a long night for the entire ZPD, no one slept and no one rested. Not even a moment. The climate control walls are completely destroyed, and the explosion had taken out some houses and buildings within a half mile radius. Now there is nothing to regulate each individual district. Sahara Square has water and ice spilling into its desert, causing the ice caps to melt in Tundra Town, and the Rainforest District is drying up. Everything now is falling into chaos and disorder, while the numbers of injured from the blast that crippled Zootopia were beyond count, and almost the same with the death toll, but what made it worse was that all but one of the missing mammals were found.....or, caught anyway. They were still savage, and there wasn't any cure that would fix this. Fix anything that happened that night, or any night since. The ZPD were red eyed and exhausted from all of this, society in Zootopia has begun to crumble, and there was no one that they could trust anymore. It is only a matter of time before something else happens that will only cripple it more.

Judy and Nick had been at their desks all night into the next morning, and the coffee they drowned themselves in was no longer helping them to stay awake. Some of their comrades had gotten hurt while protecting the firefighters, thankfully none died, but a few were injured and mauled within inches.....centimeter's even from their lives. "Carrots?" Nick asked.....more like mumbled, but he couldn't help it, they were all exhausted and at any moment could just fall asleep.
"Yes, Nick?" she responded as she rubbed her eyes.
"We need to contact Jeremiah." he admitted as he picked his head up from leaning in his hand, which had grown numb. Judy was now wide eyed and glaring at Nick upon him saying this.
"Why on earth would you even think about contacting that snake?" She asked angrily.
"To ask him why he did this? What is his goal is and what is he trying to achieve?" Nick replied as he leaned back in his chair, and gave a heavy *sigh*.
"I'm not contacting that sociopath even if it means gaining information!" she stated as she continued going through files and data, while angrily avoiding eye contact from Nick. He was about to ask her why, when to more officers came in with another animal gone savage. This one was a leopard, and was the last one in their case before it climaxed. 39 out of 40 missing had been found savage, while number 40 was already found and tagged into the morgue.

After a couple more hours, Freddy called both Nick and Judy to the morgue where he worked. "What do you think he wants, carrots?" Nick asked as they walked towards the entrance to the morgue.
"I don't know, but it didn't sound good." She replied while still not very happy with Nicks' earlier question. Once they had entered, Freddy greeted them and asked if they would like to sit down. He too was red eyed and pretty exhausted from the lack of rest from running some tests."No thanks, been sitting in a chair for far too long." She replied, as she began to stretch out her arms.
"Why did you call for us?" Nick asked as he did the same.
"I did some tests and called for some results on the lenses from the ones gone savage, but it turned up negative on any numbers or anything that would help us in any way." Freddy replied with disappointment.
"But, Matthew had two number sequences and a barcode on his body." Judy said as she began to grow more confused.
"That is what I thought was so weird, Matthew has the codes that look like they would deactivate anything that was placed in his mind, but it isn't in any of the savages eye lenses." Freddy said as he sat back down in his chair.
"Why would a body that has two number sequences, a barcode, and a branding be left for us to find?" She stated as she began to pace a little.
"That is a question, which only the one who left it can answer." Freddy replied, which resulting in him getting almost the same glare she gave Nick just a few hours ago.

When they were done talking to Freddy, they went back to their desks and began to look for any clues on Jeremiahs whereabouts.
"Hey, Nick?" she asked suddenly.
"What is it, carrots?" He answered as he took another sip from his coffee, which he got from the breakroom.
"Do you remember anything else about the room you were kept in?" she said as she rested her head on her hand.
"Not really, no." he said with a little disappointment. "Why do you ask?" he added as he looked over his monitor.
"I've been looking through everything I could think of. Warehouses, Plant's, Factory's, and more abandoned buildings, but so far I haven't found anything." She admitted as she kept scrolling on her computer.
"I don't think it's a Warehouse or Abandoned, Judy." He said as his ears perked back up, like he just remembered something.
"What do you mean?" She asked as she stopped scrolling.
"Because I remember hearing a subway, or a train, or something run past me. It was too far away to tell exactly what it was, but I could still hear It." He replied as he came around to her side and look at her screen. They put in this information and still had more places either near a subway station, or within a five mile radius of one, but it was still too many to cover.
"Well, at least we have less than 100 possible hiding places for Jeremiah." Nick admitted as he rested his head on her shoulder. Once everything calmed down, Judy and Nick were finally able to go home and get some rest, which they were very grateful for. Almost immediately entering their apartment, they went straight to bed, and they slept so hard that they were considered dead to the world.