Chapter 9. Protected

That morning, Judy woke up and got ready for the next location, this one was in a remote area in Tundra Town. She grabbed her winter coat before heading out, and listened to some music to help wake her up along the way. Down the road, she decided some 'Tundra Bros. coffee' would be nice right about now, and pulled into the parking lot. Although it wasn't in the best area in Zootopia, it was still a good cup of Joe to grab. 'Tundra Bros. coffee' was in a gang related dangerous area in Tundra Town, full of violence and murder that even the police had a hard time controlling. Putting her vehicle in park and walked through the door, Judy noticed that most of the customers inside were big and covered in gang tattoos, and made her feel a bit uncomfortable. Most sat in the booths around the edges and the tables in the middle of 'Tundra Bros.' so she sat at the counter seats.
"What can I get for you, short stack?" the counter server asked Judy. Even though that remark made her feel even more uncomfortable, she didn't want to make a big scene, especially if the other people inside found out she was a cop.
"Can I have a Carrot Crème Dream, please?" she asked politely.
"Sure thing." He said, and hollered the order at the baristas in the back.

A few minutes went past before the front door opened, Judy turned and saw a wolf wearing an expensive looking suite and coat, with a hat that matched. He wore white gloves, but didn't bother taking them off. What intrigued her about him, was the way he walked, almost like he had trouble. He then sat down in the seat next to Judy before removing his hat and setting it on the counter, revealing deep scars that marked his face like an accident beside the highway. She felt a little more uncomfortable due to the fact he was she couldn't help staring at his deep scars.
"What'll it be for you?" the server asked the wolf.
"I'll have a java chip, extra crème, and make it a strong double shot." He replied in a low, deep voice.
"Coming up." The server replied and went to the back again. Judy still didn't get her Carrot Crème Dream and was getting a little impatient, and began tapping her foot.
"They only have the one barista working in the back, and will be a little bit of a waiting time." The wolf suddenly said. It almost made Judy jump.
"Oh, okay." She replied, still a bit tired from waking up in the morning. Just then three big polar bears walked in, covered in tattoos and each had a large knife with brass knuckles built into the handle, and walked right up to Judy.
"That is where me and my boys sit, move or you will be moved!" he demanded as he stood right behind her. As the entire room went silent to the point where you could hear a pin drop, Judy's ears drooped behind her back.
"That is no way to treat a lady." The wolf said suddenly, making the bears look over at him.
"And what would you know about how to treat a lady? One look at your ugly mug and they run away." The leader laughed, but the wolf just smiled.
"At least they look at me. With you, all they need to do is listen for your fat butt in a two block radius." He replied.
"Pick your fights wisely. I told the little lady to move or she will be, and there is nothing you can do about It." he said as he began reaching for Judys' shoulder. Just before he laid a hair on her, his hand stopped short by the wolf sitting near.
"Touch her, and find out what else I can do other than run my mouth." He said. The bear tried pulling his hand away, but couldn't, it was being held by the scarred wolfs hand in a steel grip. The scarred wolfs eyes were different colors, one was brown, but the other was a sky-blue color, and both were like daggers piercing into their very souls. He then let go making the polar bear stumble backwards, but his boys caught him from falling and reached for their weapons. Their boss then stopped them, and stood up with a dark smile on his face.
"You think you can take three polar bears at once? Almost like you have something to prove?" he said with a smirk, hoping for a fight.
"I've got nothing to prove to you or anyone here, but I won't tolerate someone like you or anyone treating a lady with disrespect. She was here first, so sit somewhere else." The scarred wolf said, now standing in between him a Judy.
"I don't care if she was, that is where I always sit and intend to sit." He replied.
"And you will, just as soon as she is done sitting there." Just as the scarred wolf said this, the polar bear tried swinging at him, but he dodged and returned with a right jab to his left cheek, and made the bear stumble. Once he caught himself, he felt something running down his face, and found blood.
"You have just made your last mistake. Boys, get him!" The bear said as he drew his knife, and ran at him. It was three against one, and the other people inside ran out to watch from a safe distance. One tried slicing his gut open, but he moved and hit him in the leg, dropping him down to his knees. The other tried hitting him in the face, and took his momentum and threw the bear across the room, crushing a table under his weight. The other bear got up from his knees and tried to take his knife to his chest, but he knocked it out of the bears hand and jabbed it into his arm, and he let out a painful yell, before getting kicked down to the ground. The leader then tried to mix a swing with his knife and a jab with his left hand, but missing altogether. The knife was knocked to the floor and kicked away from him, and turned into a brutal fistfight. The leader bear couldn't lay a finger on Judys' defender. Tables were crushed, chairs were shattered, and blood covered the floor, but not a single drop of any of the blood was from the wolf, who did a mix of jabs, kicks, and brutal punches to the bears face obviously had military training that Judy noticed. Finally, after a few minute brawl, the bear fell to the floor, bruised and battered from head to toe. The wolf then put his foot on his neck and began putting pressure.
"This had better teach you that size doesn't matter in a fight, and respecting a lady no matter where." The wolf said darkly, scaring him that was beneath his foot.

Just then, the counter server came out with both Carrot Crème Dream and the strong double shot java chip.
"What happened to my shop?" he demanded, looking right at the scarred wolfs face.
"A lesson in respect, sir. Sorry for the mess." He said as he walked up to the counter and reached in his coat pocket. Judy tried handing the server the money for her Carrot Crème, but the wolf blocked her hand. "I've got this." He said as he took out his wallet and took out a roll of twenties and set it on the counter. "Some extra to replace the broken tables and chairs, and maybe enough to buy yourself a gun, sir." he told the server as he held the door open for Judy and both walked out of the shop.
"Thank you, uh....." she began to say.
"Wolfsbane, Charlie Wolfsbane." He said with a smile.
"Judy Hopps, ZPD. Thank you for defending me and paying for my coffee, Mr. Wolfsbane." She said.
"Please, call me Charlie, my friends call me either one, Miss Hopps." he said.
"Can I ask a question?" she said as she took a sip from her coffee.
"Is it about my scars?" he asked as he raised an eyebrow. Judy nodded a bit embarrassed. "It's all right, no need to get ashamed about being curious. I got these scars when I was in the military. It was a normal trip, one that we haven't taken a thousand times before. I was walking next to our tank and supply truck and had stepped on a mine while talking with my brothers, and didn't hear the click. It blew right under me sending me backwards, the shrapnel slicing through my arms, face, and taking my right leg off." He said as he raised his pant leg and showed her his prosthetic leg. "I was out cold for two days, before being told that my two brothers I was walking with didn't make it. I was the one who stepped on the bloody mine. Why did they have to die? They had families and wives, but I had no one." He said as Judy noticed a single tear fall from his face, but he quickly wiped away the trail.
"I'm so sorry." She said as she took another sip.
"It's quite alright. I was discharged from the military, and the rehabilitation center about two months ago, and now help the police out with the gang violence around here. That polar bear I just took out is linked to seven murders and three cop shootings in Tundra Town. I've been tracking him down for a week, and knew he would come in that shop in a couple of minutes, but didn't know he would try to harm you." He said as he took a sip from his java.
"I was reaching for my firearm as he began reaching for me." Judy said with a smirk.
"Smart girl." He said, and they talked for a few more minutes before Judy looked at her watch. "Sweet cheese and crackers! It's almost noon, I'm so sorry, but I have to go." She said as she began walking to the car.
"That is my bad, no need to apologize, Miss Hopps. I hope I'll see you around." He said as he waived.
"Good bye, Charlie." She said and waived back.

She then started her vehicle and made her way to the next location. Charlie's kindness reminded her of Nicks, and almost teared up because of it, but she had to stay focused on the task ahead, and took in a deep breath. "Don't cry, Judy. Just get the box and key to Jeremiah and he will return Nick alive." She thought to herself. What she didn't know was that Jeremiah has something planned for Nick, then Judy.