FIFTEEN

I can hear the music even from three corridors away. The beats vibrating through the walls and thrills me even more. Pandemonium. Oh how happy am I that it finally arrived. I needed this. A way to erase every problem I have and just jump to the music and laugh and shout and just be a kid again.

Oh, how we all want to be kids again.

I look down at myself. I’m wearing nothing but a simple black dress, tight but not enough to suffocate me. It was a special dress, one that I only wore at this event and no where else.

My red hair is tied into a ponytail high on my head. It took hours for me to place it that way and tame all the stray strands. Of course it was Odelle's idea since she was getting sick of my hair whipping her face.

I turn one corner and hear a low whistle. It was Louis as he looks me up and down before placing his hands in his pockets. “Aren’t we looking good tonight?” He says.

I roll my eyes. “We?” I say and he pretends to be hurt.

“I happen to think that I look pretty sexy in what I’m wearing” he says and I laugh at him.

“A black shirt paired with camouflage-patterned pants, isn’t sexy, Louis. You look like you’re going out to a military camp.” I say and he shrugs.

“Odelle seemed to like it.” He says and blushes just a bit. But it was enough for me to see and make my deductions. I hate myself for noticing it just now.

“You have a thing for Odelle!” I squeal, suddenly giddy inside. I know Louis. And I know Odelle too. They’ve been so good to everyone, expecting nothing in return. They deserve something good for a change. They deserve each other.

His blue eyes go wide and he covers my mouth with his hands. “I do not!” he says but his eyes are still wide and his ears go pink. So much for sexy.

I yank at his arms and when I manage to get free I say “Yes, you do!”. I know I should lower my voice but I can’t, and besides no one would over hear us over the music.

Louis runs his hand across the length on his face before stopping and covering his mouth with his hand, thinking about all the things that could go wrong from this point.

I jump up and down on the balls of my feet, so giddy and happy that something good is finally happening in this world. But then I stop, smile at Louis, and nod my head in the direction of a certain chocolate-haired girl.

For a second Louis was confused. He follows that direction of my nodding head with his eyes. I can practically see his heart hammering against his chest when he notices Odelle by the door way. He snaps out of it, glares at me, and posts a smile on his face.

“Hey, Odelle.” Louis starts so casually that if I didn’t know his secret I would have been fooled.

“Hey, Louis. Hey, Jade.” She beams at me as if she’s never been happier to see me. I realize that everything I’m wearing was something that this girl has suggested.

“I think I’m going to go in, now.” I say to give the two privacy and do something good for Louis.

“Oh, wait. I was actually about to leave to go looking for you.” Odelle says before I can get far.

I turn around and fake a curious expression, as if I’m not in a hurry to leave. “Why so?” I ask, quickly glancing at Louis to see what’s happening to him. His face is calm and cheerful like always but there’s a spark of panic in his eyes that are begging me to stay where I am.

I narrow my eyes quickly at him to tell him that I’m leaving him with Odelle whether he likes it or not. Which I’m sure he does but is just too scared and nervous for it to actually happen.