4. Dark- Lucius Malfoy

Dear Harry~

I'm to teach you about darkness in this letter. This is my story.

The graveyard was eerie, and cold. We all wondered when the boy would finally be here, but of course no one voiced the thought aloud. 

Pettigrew scuttled around with the bundle of cloth in his arms, as though carrying a precious baby. It was much more than a baby, however, and we all anticipated the minute when Lord Voldemort would rise from his insubstantial current form and have a body of his own.

Then, the Potter boy arrived. One thing we had not counted on- another coming with him. The Dark Lord's voice rang out, ordering one of us to kill the other. 

I heard my own voice ring out in the clearing, using a spell I had used many a time before. The face of Cedric Diggory went lifeless, cold. I cringed slightly.

I had done this over and over again, yet I still cringed every time. I was stealing life, robbing person after person from their families and friends.

Why did I still feel guilty every time? I'd sworn that darkness would fill me from the time I was young, foolish. The time when the Dark Lord picked me up from my petty existence and made a true wizard out of me. He'd given me power, and I thirsted for it.

But still, some part of me longed to be rid of the darkness that clutched at my soul. Some part of me longed to be light. Furious with this part of me, I tried to rip it away; making a Horcrux. I knew, I had guessed, what my master had done. Desperate to feel the wholeheartedness that he possessed, I did it as well.

The piece of light was gone, but something remained. By this time, I was furious with my own self; I could not even get rid of the guilty feeling inside.

After the night in the graveyard, I sought my master's advice. The Dark Lord was impressed with my longing to be complete darkness, and he thought long and hard. Finally, one year after the night in the graveyard, he gave me my answer.

"The boy you call your son," said Voldemort thoughtfully. "He is the thing that ties you to love, to light. Be rid of him, be rid of him forever, and you will be truly dark."

"Master, I cannot kill him." I confessed.

"You still long for the light!" Said the Dark Lord angrily. "No matter. While you still love, you cannot be darkness. Only one of complete darkness could murder his kin, and so I shall take pity on you. I have a job that I will give to him, and I am sure it will kill him for you. Then, you will have no ties to the light."

"My Lord, please... spare the boy."

"I shall consider sparing his life if it is what you truly wish for. However, when it comes time for your part of our current plan, you mustn't fail. Bring me the prophecy, or your son will be given a job that will surely kill him."

"Yes, my Lord."

All I wanted was my master's darkness, but I did not want it at the expense of my son.

Maybe I could never be Dark after all.

Harry, I want you to know that darkness, though it seems desirable, always has a price tag attached. Take care to stay in the light – which has no price tag.

~Lucius

***

I really hope you're liking these as much as I do. The next person is Hermione, which should be a really good one!!