27. Foreign- Viktor Krum

Dear Harry,

I'm to teach you about being foreign in this letter. This is my story.

 Congratulations on your victory in the Triwizard Cup. I don't believe I ever got to congratulate you, what with everything that happened during the Third Task. I suppose I also owe you an apology for trying to curse you in the maze. I didn't mean to; I wasn't exactly myself at the time.

Also, I think I need to offer you some explanation. I may have seemed cold and unfriendly when we interacted. But you, Harry Potter, should understand why. You, like me, are used to being treated with adoration bordering on reverence. I imagine that for you, just as for me, the adoration wears thin after a while; I also have gathered that you, like me, are grateful when the spotlight does fade. 

I'd reached that point by my final year at Durmstrang. Yes, I'd only just become an international Quidditch player around the middle of my sixth year, but my peers at Durmstrang had always known that I was especially gifted at Quidditch. The excitement quickly faded near the end of sixth year, as I imagine it did for you, as you moved up through Hogwarts. I was no longer the most interesting subject at the school. It changed, when I came to Hogwarts; everyone suddenly wanted to know me, be  my close friend. It was disconcerting, and I preferred to fade into the background. I preferred to be out of the spotlight. I preferred Durmstrang, where I was not so bombarded. There, I was largely ignored by fans. I actually gained enemies there, mostly jealous enemies, as Hermione has told me that you have at Hogwarts as well.

Ah, I have reached the subject I was hoping to avoid for a few more paragraphs: Hermione. You should've seen it coming, Harry Potter. You reached out to the girl who didn't care for your fame, the girl who loved you for your bravery and quick wit: the Weasley girl. We are quite similar, Harry Potter, and that is why I reached out to the only girl in the whole of Hogwarts who didn't care for my fame. Your friend, the intelligent and insightful Hermione Granger.

You would not enjoy being the foreign wizard in the room, Harry Potter, as I did not enjoy it. There's only so much fame one can take before being driven mad with longing for 'normal' life.There's only so much one can take before shutting down, becoming silent. 

But take heart, Harry Potter. For you won't always be in new places, seen as foreign and exciting. Enjoy your time out of the spotlight, it comes and it goes, and it is ever refreshing. Also, your Weasley friend, perhaps he could do with learning that the spotlight isn't always the greatest place to be. Hermione and him... they make a good couple, by the way. Balance each other well. 

Congratulations again on winning, and consider everything I have said, one famous teenage wizard to another.

~Viktor Krum 

*** 

Look at me, posting!! Be happy about that :) 

Ok, I know this one didn't exactly go in the 'foreign' direction it was supposed to. But I like where it went. Let me know what you think!!!(: