13. Misfortune- John Dawlish

Dear Harry~

I'm to teach you about misfortune in this letter. This is my story.

 Doesn't it seem like bad stuff always happens to one person, over and over and over again? They have all the accidents, family deaths, always get beat up by the other guy. That one person just so happens to be me.

It wasn't always me, though. As a boy, I was the smart kid, the precocious child. Everyone thought I would be great. As a teenager, I was the popular kid, the one everybody wanted to be friends with. Everyone still thought I would be great.

And I was, for a while. I was on top. After Hogwarts and several years of training, I was taken on as an Auror. I was on top of the world. I was straight out of school, had a great job, a nice house, and I was even engaged to a gorgeous girl.  Then, I met Melikke.

Something about her captivated me. At first, I thought she was just a normal witch. We met at the Ministry, but I never thought about what she might be doing there. I simply lost myself in her, her beautiful face, her long eyelashes...

I asked her to come to dinner with me that night. She agreed, smiling. I knew, somewhere deep inside, that it was wrong; I had a finace and I didn't need this girl. But again, I felt as though I was under some sort of spell with her.

I enjoyed the dinner immensly. Not so much that I remember what I ate, but the company was wonderful. Melikke and I laughed and talked the whole night away, but I should've known it was too good to last.

Talk turned to our families. Melikke was reluctant to divulge her own background, instead questioning me. I let slip my fiance, and suddenly things took a turn for the worse.

"I knew it," her green eyes flashed angrily at me. "You cheating fool." Turns out she was a veela, but not just any veela. Veela women normally turned the heads of whatever men they could find, but Melikke was different. She called herself a Protector of Love,whatever that was. She said that it was her job to be sure that men  were faithful to their women.

She then decided I needed punishment. Not really scared, I smirked at the idea of this veela giving me a punishment. Enraged by my laughter, Melikke hit me with a spell; the Misfortune Jinx.

It was Melikke's turn to laugh, for she knew that now, I would be unlucky forever. Everything I did or said would crumble and fade right before my eyes, and I had no escape. None.

I tried to think that the whole thing was a dream, but it wasn't. Within hours, my fiance and I were broken apart, my house burned down (really??), and I nearly lost my job. Fortunately, I was able to keep the job, but it was forever changed. 

Whomever we were up against, be it a little girl or You-Know-Who, I was always the first one injured or hit with a spell. I got all the assignments that were sure to kick my butt. 

It hurt, every time someone knocked me down. Not so much physically, but emotionally. I couldn't do anything about it, but every time I was kicked to the floor, I found it a little harder to get back up again.

I guess I was destined to be misfortunate.

Harry, stay true to those around you. Though the grass might look greener on the other side, there’s a trap somewhere in between.

~John

***

Hey Hey! Short and late, I know, don't yell at me :( I'm doing my best to get them done! I really am!!

Anyways, RVC!! Thanks everybodeeee(: