20. Fortitude- Godric Gryffindor

Dear Harry,

I'm to teach you about fortitude in this letter. This is my story.

Fortitude; a mouthful of a word that really has a pretty simple meaning. Bravery.

I know that you often wondered, at least when you were young, why you were chosen for my house. 'Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart; their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.' That's what the Sorting Hat told you, on your first night at Hogwarts. Perhaps you weren't feeling brave or daring or chivalrous at that time, but let me tell you that you are, and always were, one fortitudinous young man.

Fortitude isn't simply that you go looking for danger. (That we call foolishness!) Fortitude, bravery, courage, whichever you prefer, means that you are scared; in fact, terrified; of what is to come. But an  overwhelming emotion overrides that fear, and that emotion is love.

Love, Albus Dumbledore's favorite word! Love that Tom Riddle could never understand. Without love, Riddle had no fortitude. He was a coward, conveniently hiding in whatever ways he could.  It is love that pulls you through whatever task is at hand; it is love that makes you courageous enough to do whatever you can when a loved one is in danger.

You, Harry, can love - it is not something you like hearing, I know full well. But it is love that fuels your outstanding courage and fortitude.

That is why I chose for my House those who were brave and bold. Not because they had no fear when facing trials. Not because they could stand up to their enemies But because those who posess fortitude are those who love the best.

Your friend Neville Longbottom, for instance- it was never expected that he would be in Gryffindor House simply because he was not the strongest, nor the toughest. But strength and toughness do not equal bravery, oh no. Neville Longbottom shows a bravery found in very few people, in that he is so overwhelmingly afraid of standing up that when he does, his actions go much farther than if he were to stand up for everything, all the time.

Do you see? Fortitude isn't the absence of fear. Fortitude, quite simply, is the presence of fear but more so the presence of love.

Harry, never pretend that you are not afraid. Never pretend that you have it all together. Confess your fears, overcome them, and stand up for those you love.

~Godric

***

Wowie, two posts in two days!! Aren't you proud of me??? And this is a really good one; or at least I think so!!

RVC(:

~Tori