STAY

Both mine and Charlie's attempts are failing. Alex is just not listening to us. I just need to tell him what really happened and why we need him to stay and help us. I've known him for too long to just sit here and let him slip away. I also know that if he has a problem he will do anything in his power to sort it out himself, which means confronting Katherine and Taylor. But how would any of us be able to do that when we don't even know where they are.

"Alex just listen to me please. There's much more to this then you think." I explained.

Alex turned around sharply to face me "No. There isn't anymore to say. You probably think that I'm over reacting but it's- she just- you won't understand. You never have. You think you know me. The real me. But I'm telling you now that you have only scraped the surface of my identity" Alex jumped down the step and into the road. Luckily nothing ever drives down here otherwise I would be seriously nervous about Alex standing in the middle of the road. Charlie and I knew to keep our distance right now as he needed time to cool off, so we stayed on the curb.

"Then let Nate explain what going on. He's never asked you for anything Alex, so just this once please I need you to help us because at the moment this situation involves you as much as it involves us" Charlie interfered. "Please Alex do what's right. I know you're upset, I know you're angry, but please there is so much that you don't know that we know and visa versa. Just let us explain and we will do the same to you" Charlie spoke calmly and it seemed that Alex was slowly letting his guard down, letting the wall that he has built up get broken and is allowing us passage to helping him. She held out her hand to him, her eyes pleading for him to let us in to his mind.

After what seemed hours of standing there watching Alex have a mental debate with himself, he finally began to walk over to us. I let out a sigh of relief and the weight that has been on my shoulders the whole time has been lifted. Although it feels like every time Alex take a step forwards he just stays in the same place maybe this road is larger than I thought. Charlie smiles as Alex keeps taking steps towards her. Closer and closer he still seems so far, it feels like an optical illusion, that my mind is playing tricks on me.

"Alex!"

I hear a shrilled voice call out a name. At first I thought that it was the voices that everyone has inside there heads sometimes, but then I see the bright red hair perfectly straight resting on her shoulders. Instantly I feel a unusual mixture of anger and fear. Although she is separated from us by a stretch of tarmac it still feels like she is right beside me. Memories of that night come back to me and all I can think of is where is Taylor. She would never be seen without him. I'm shaking but not from fear. I'm trying to hold myself back from doing something that I regret. All I can think of is why? Why is she here? Why is she doing this? Why is she trying to hurt everyone that I love? It's almost like she has a hitlist of people that she wants gone and one by one they are slowly fading away.

"Alex! Oh my god I've been so worried about you. Every time I go to the house you're not there and I couldn't go inside because I forgot my keys" She called.

"Well I've been at home at lot and not once have I seen you at the door" Alex hissed.

"Aren't you going to ask where I have been?"

"No"

"Why, hun?" She questioned seductively.

"Because I already know." Alex said looking over at us with a sense of proudness and trust, stepping further away from her and into the haven of us.

"Alex hun, I can't hear you why don't you come closer so that I can hear you better?" Alex looked over at us to get reassurance. Charlie and I nodded in sync, as he slowly made his way over to her. I turn to look at Charlie, but see not to far in the distance the same black car with tinted windows that slowed down beside us when we were leaving the hospital earlier today. I have a strong feeling that something is not right about this. I glance back at Alex. I suddenly hear the screech of tires and the purr of an engine revving up and speeding down the road. My immediate instinct is to run. Run towards Alex. All my focus is on him and making sure that he doesn't get hurt. My eyes dart to and from the car coming closer faster than I can run towards Alex and Alex himself. 

5...

I call out Alex's name as loud as I could.

4...

Alex turns around to look at me, then at the car coming towards him. He braces himself for impact.

3...

I can hear Charlie screaming at me in the background tell me to move out the way. I see the silhouette of the driver.

2...

I see Katherine's deadly smirk. I know that she planned all of this.

1...

"NATHAN!" 

A/N: Sorry for the shortish chapter, but hey. I felt mean today leaving this on a kind of cliff hanger. I guess you have to wait to find out. I just wanted to thank you for all the support given so far, it means a lot to me (You know who you are!). I hope you are enjoying the story so far and do continue to read on. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

AVH x