NEW YEAR

3 years later
"I guess he finally got what he deserved" Aiden called out.

"True that. After years of running away from what he'd done, he has finally been locked down" Noah said.

"I really don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. With a prosecution case as strong as ours, is there any point of a trial?" Emily chuckled soundly, while walking into the room with her toddler in her arms, whom she then passed on to her husband who smiled proudly at their child. So did everyone in the room. She squirmed and fussed a little before her father finally put her down. I watched as the small child waddled over to the doors leading to the garden staring up at the sky and hint of reminiscence sparked within me.

"I'm just happy that we now are finally normal" Charlie chimed in.

"Well I would be to sure about that" I said coming up behind her and wrapping my arms around her waist, her small hands placed on top of mine as I kissed the top of her head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She questioned harshly, removing her hands and turning around to face he head on, knitting her eyebrows together in a sort of childlike manor.

"Well..." I trailed off placing my hands in my pockets.

"Look" Alexandra says excited pointing up to the sky. Where an array of fireworks start to fill the canvas of the sky above. Noah quickly came over and swooped up Alex onto his shoulders, whilst Emily stood close to him resting her head on his shoulders, snaking an arm around his waist. Charlie instantly grabbed hold of my arm with great force and hulled me outside. I smiled looking at that perfect picture. I'm so happy for them. I sighed smiling a little before checking my phone to see what time it was. That make me smile even more.

"5....4....3....2....1.... Happy new year!"

That moment the garden filled with an assortment of glasses clinking together, cheers and happy New Years.  As the festivities began to die down a little Charlie's voice spoke up.

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind..."
I have never heard her sing before but hearing her start this simple melody made me wish for her never to stop.

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot, For the sake of auld Lang syne" I joined in bringing her close to me resting my head on top of hers.

"For auld Lang syne my dear, For auld Lang syne, We'll take a cup o kindness yet, For the sake of auld Lang syne" one by one everyone joined in the song and as formed our own little choir, welcoming the new year.

Charlie looked at me and smiled, like she has never done before. It was not one that she was wearing as a mask but one that showed true happiness and content. She turned around in my arms and kissed me gently, then exhaling looking up towards the sky. "Alex would have loved this." She paused a little before continuing "seeing everyone together. He always used to ship everyone and come up with stupid names.  We were 'narlie'"

"I know. I always loved that about him. The way he could make something out of nothing, the way he could always make you laugh and just forget about all the shit that's going on" I laughed softly, reminiscing on the times before.

"What do you think he would say to us now?" Charlie asked gesturing with her head to the group. I thought about her question for a moment. Even though it's been nearly 3 years since I said farewell to my life long friend for the last time, I still miss his comments, nerdy facts and, as much as I hate to admit it, the much needed advice which I would ask for and always receive.

"To Aiden he would say I told you so." I looked over to Aiden sharing the cliche New Years kiss with his girlfriend, which he finally asked out after months of debating. I still laugh at the fact that he didn't ask his own brother for relationship advice.
"To Noah he would say you will be a great father, then to Emily I guess you have two children now" She laughed, knowing full well that's what he would say. "To me he would say you better man up. You love her so much, more than life itself, you know this is the right thing to do" She stared up at me in confusion, with a slight smile on her face.
"To you?..." I breathed, placing me hands in my pockets, which I have kept hidden for a very long time. "He would say you better say yes, I've been waiting to be a best man" I pulled my hands out of my pockets, concealing a new start in a box.

"Will you make me the happiest man alive?" I asked bending down on one knee never looking away from her eyes. Her hands flew in front of her mouth and tears began to  form  in her eyes giving them a happy glimmer. Which only caused me and the others to smile and laugh. At this moment I couldn't be happy to be around these bunch of people whom I've been to hell and back with. Amongst the wait for the answer, I could hear Alex's voice at the back of my head telling me "I told you so Narlie is finally cannon" which only made be smile even more and look up. 

"Out of the tens of thousands of words that I know there is only one word that can answer your question. The rest? Well they are all just words"