Chapter 4

7 hours later Connie was sat in bed holding their new baby girl in her arms, but Jacob wasn't sat next to her.
He had ignored her comment about Mason being her son, which when she was in pain was not a good idea because it was really frustrating her, so much to the point that when she tried to address it with him and he snapped, she kicked him out of the labour room.
She looked up from their daughter when the door flew open and Jacob stood there, holding the letter between his fingers.
"I'm so sorry I said you were crazy" he said.
Connie shook her head, "just come and meet your daughter" she replied.

Jacob walked in and sat on the edge of the bed, placing the letter on Connie's knee. She smiled and placed the baby in her arms and watched as he held her.
"Are we still naming her what we agreed on?" Connie asked.
He smiled and nodded, "if that's what you want. Tali Amira Masters" he said.
"She's perfect" Connie said as she lent over and stroked Talia's cheek.
"Just like her mummy" Jacob grinned.
She smiled at him before looking down to the letter, "you read it?" she asked.
"Yeah I did. And like I said I'm sorry for calling you crazy, I should of believed you when you said there was a letter" Jacob replied.
"And when I said Mason was our son" Connie added.

He sighed and used his free hand to squeeze hers, "as much as I would like it to, the letter doesn't prove anything. If this boy could find out what had happened to our baby then he could just as easily come up with this elaborate theory. It's not proof Connie, it's a scam, a horrible and crazy one at that, but it's not proof. Our son died" he told her.
"No, no you're wrong Jacob. It proves everything. Didn't you see him? He looks just like you, he is you. He's Mason" Connie insisted.
"Sweetcheeks you saw what you wanted to see, I'm sorry" Jacob replied.
"Get me the doctor" Connie said.
"Why? Are you in pain?" he asked, slightly confused.
"No. Not Mr T. Dr Benoit, the doctor that delivered Mason" she explained.
"What? Connie be realistic here!" Jacob said.
"I am being realistic! Now get me the doctor!" Connie shouted.
"Ok, ok, I'll be back soon" he sighed then passed Tali back to her before walking out.

Jacob came in half an hour later, just as Connie finished feeding Tali.
"Well?" Connie asked as she looked up at Jacob.
"He's dead" Jacob replied.
"How? When?" she enquired.
"That doesn't matter" he told her firmly.
Sensing he was keeping something from her, Connie glared at him, "when?" she asked again.
"Two days after Mason was born. Suicide" Jacob told Connie.
"He... It... It was the guilt wasn't it? He killed himself because he couldn't live with the guilt of taking a child away from his parents" Connie said with tears in her eyes.

Jacob sat down on the edge of the bed, "ok I'm still not saying this makes it certain that this boy is our son, but I will admit it seems a little strange although I'm not ruling out that he killed himself for another reason. I spoke to an old colleague of his who still works at the hospital. She informed me that he left a note, just saying that he was sorry" he explained.
"Sorry for taking our son away" Connie quickly jumped in.
"Woah, slow down and let me finish baby. When investigating his death, to ensure it was suicide, the police discovered that he was having an affair. Although it seemed like a very extreme way out of it, they concluded that it was only possible explanation for the note" Jacob said.
"That's only because they didn't know what he had done to us and our child!" She insisted.

"Yeah... Well know I look at it I suppose I do have my doubts. So I'm sorry. Connie if you really think this boy is our son then we will find out. I now realise I don't have any right to tell you no, because I have no proof. But neither do you, which is why we need some" he told her.
"Thank you" Connie said with tears in her eyes.
"There's only one way to do this, a DNA test" Jacob stated.
Connie nodded and smiled, "let's do it" she said.
"Babe I'd love to, but when he was in the hospital did he ever give you a last name? Any details?" he asked.
"No... No, just a first name and a birthday. If that's even real I guess" she replied.
"Then I'm sorry, but we are just going to have to wait. See if you can find him or if he turns up again. That's the only way we can get his DNA" he told her.