Stars

*Twelve years ago*

When the month ended, Haly's Circus packed up to move to the next city. Alyssa had been there to see them off, waving and chasing the trailers for as long as she could.

She had promised Jerome that they'd see each other again when the circus came back to Gotham. Jerome had believed her, and it was the only thing that kept him going the rest of the year.

Come the following April, when the circus passed through Kansas City, his mom met with the same man she always did -- the man with the snake tattoo.

It shouldn't have bothered him. He ought to be used to it by now. But the way they made beating him into a game....

He'd run from the trailer the first chance he got, curling in on himself and crying. He wanted to get out of here, he wanted Alyssa. She cared about him, she protected him, she always did.

Sniffing slightly, Jerome reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out the small snow globe Alyssa had bought for him. It was barely bigger than his hand, with a smooth silver base, and the scene in the dome was a miniature version of Gotham City. Usually looking at it brought him comfort, but now it only made him cry all the more.

"Why are you crying Jerome?" Mr. Cicero, the blind fortune teller asked, coming up to him. Jerome had never understood why the blind man seemed to see everything, Alyssa had found him slightly creepy and had always pulled him closer to her side when he was around.

"Its my birthday." he sniffed. "And my mom and the snake guy are beating me."

If a blind man's gaze could harden, Jerome was sure it would have then. "This world doesn't care about you or anyone else, Jerome. Better to realize that now."

"N-no, that-that's not true." he shook his head. "Alyssa, the girl from Gotham, she cares about me."

Mr. Cicero scoffed. "You really think that girl is waiting for you to return? You were just an idle distraction, my boy. I doubt she even remembers your name."

"You're wrong!" he snapped, standing with a jolt. "She does care about me, she does!" he shouted.

She had to....

*The following July*

When Haly's Circus finally returned to Gotham, Jerome was scolded nearly all day for being so distracted while they set up. But he barely noticed; he was waiting for opening night. Alyssa would be there, of course she would, she promised.

He waited at the picnic tables for what seemed like hours. Really it was only about ten minutes.

"J!" his head snapped up when he heard the nickname. "There you are! I-oof!"

Jerome had cut her off when he flung himself at her, wrapping his arms around her as tightly as he could.

"Missed you too, kid." she chuckled, running her fingers through his hair.

"You came. I-I didn't think you'd come to see me again..." he muttered, admitting the fear that had been gnawing at him for months.

"Well you're a dummy." Alyssa smiled. "A promise is a promise, Jerome."

She pulled away and they sat down at the table. Jerome wasn't sure what he was feeling -- everything was mess. She'd come, just like she said she would, just like he had believed she would, but if he was honest with himself he didn't know why she had.