Very Great Things

A/N: This is a chapter that I am particularly proud of. I hope you like it as much as I do.

As a surrogate mother of two hundred with a small empire to boot, it wasn't surprising that Alyssa's number of adult friends was limited. Even then, the adult friends she had were all male, so Barbara Kean was a breath of fresh air.

It was fun to be able to just gossip without having to worry about Ozzy's plans, or her relationship with Eddie. For once, Alyssa was able to rant without facing worry, or her friends trying to jump in an help. Barbara understood a woman's need to simply vent, and it was a god send for Alyssa.

Even better, Barbara came from a rich background so she was able to appreciate Alyssa's stories about Lex and Oliver. She was also an artist herself, and Alyssa found that working with like-minded eye did wonders for her self-esteem when it came to showing off her work.

And things always worked better for Alyssa when she was in a good mood; business flourished, the kids were all happy – Barbara was brilliant with them – and with the extra help, she was able to have time for dates with Edward, which all went splendidly.

But, to be fair, she was living in Gotham.

Which is why she couldn't say she was all that surprised when she got a call from Harvey Dent saying that the charges had been dropped against Arnold Flass. Sure, she was mad, just not surprised.

Harvey asked if she wanted to go out to lunch, and she agreed. She ran over things with Barbara a hundred times on her way out.

"Oh, and make sure Liam gets his ear medicine! Its in the office fridge!"

"I know, its on the list you left me." she chuckled. "Go, have fun! You don't need to worry."

"I'm sorry, have you met me?" Alyssa raised an eyebrow.

Barbara rolled her eyes. "Fine, worry, but have fun too!"

*******

*Four years ago*

Knock knock knock knock!

Harvey Dent looked up as his office door was knocked on. "Yes? Can I help you?" he asked the woman who had to be around his age, but he didn't recognize her.

"You Harvey Dent?"

"I am. Who are you?"

"My name's Alyssa Connors. Got a job for ya."

"Oh?"

She nodded. "I need some legal things done and I have no idea how to do them. That's where you come in."

He frowned. "Ms. Connors, I'm a district attorney. You need a personal lawyer."

"Mm-mm" she shook her head. "Don't want a yes man in it for the pay check. I like what I've heard about you; you're legit. You genuinely want to clean up Gotham." she shrugged. "Long shot, but I think I know where to start. Trouble is, to pull it off I need to make sure no one can stop me. I've got a plan, and you Harvey Dent, are the key to all of it."

Harvey was silent for a moment. "....And what would this plan be exactly?"

******

"And now he wants to find Lobe's stock pile; steal the dragon's gold." Harvey took a sip of his coffee.

"Wow. I may not like the boyscout, but even I have to respect his guts." Alyssa chuckled.

"He never gives in, I'll give him that...." he looked down. "I'm sorry about Jerome." he said suddenly.