Alex And Ali

It seemed Jim Gordon had had the right idea getting out early. With Strange's creations out on the streets, Gotham itself had become the madhouse. This made Alyssa's job about ten times harder, and given how hard it was already that was saying something. Barnes – once he'd been discharged from the hospital – had actually been the one to insist she take some time off about two months after the events at Arkham. He insisted that he could handle things for the two weeks she'd be gone, because he was one of the stubbornest people Alyssa knew, he was hard to say no to.

It did feel good to kick her feet up though, and Selina was all too happy to come along on what she called 'a Luthor vacation.'

Yes, Lex had all but jumped at the opportunity to steal Alyssa for a few weeks.

He'd sent the Luthor jet over to pick them up, though Smallville was hardly a prime destination with the heatwave it was currently going through. It was a nice change to the rainy skies of Gotham however, so neither Alyssa or Selina were about to complain.

There were much more interesting things to complain about however, such as the strange woman sitting in the study when they entered it.

"You must be Alyssa and Selina!" she said, standing with a wide smile. "Oh, Lex has told me so much about the two of you."

"Who the hell are you?" Selina frowned.

"I see you found them before I could." Lex's voice made the three of them turn to the doorway. "Ali, Selina. I'd like you to meet Desiree Atkins." he introduced, putting an arm around her as he reached her. "My fiancee."

You could practically hear the sound of the girl's jaws dropping. After getting over her initial shock, Alyssa shook her head and gave him a stiff look.

"Uh, Alex? A word?" not waiting for an answer she yanked on his arm, pulling him from the room.

Selina and Desiree watched them go before sharing a look. Selina forced a laugh as well as a smile.

There was no way this was ending well.

******

In the kitchen, Lex rubbed at his arm as Alyssa finally released it.

"Well, congratulations, and what the hell?!" she exclaimed, her shouts punctuated with a hit to his chest.

"I know, it's sudden, but love keeps no time." he said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Love?! If you were in love, the first thing you would've done is call me!"

"Alright, alright!" Lex laughed. "I get it, I'm sorry. I guess I just got caught up in everything."

"How long you known this girl?"

"Not long. I met her on a LexCorp business meeting last week."

"Last week?! Alex!"

"I told you, love keeps no time. Honestly Ali, I thought you'd be happy for me." he frowned slightly.

"I am happy for you, I'm just....mad for me." she huffed. "This isn't the kind of thing I should find out just because I happened to come over. Were you even planning on inviting me to the wedding?"

"I was planning to ask you to be my best person."

"When?"

"Right now."

Alyssa blinked. "Really?"

Lex chuckled. "Who else would I want with me on one of the most important days of my life?"