A Memory's Lament

Alyssa had never understood the concept of having a hit list, but it now seemed she was composing one of her own. First Strange, and now Edward.

Strange was one thing; she had hated the man from day one. But Ed....they hadn't been on good terms lately, but hating him like she was now seemed...foreign. She wasn't faking her anger by any means, but it was still odd to think of the man she had once loved and trusted with everything in this way.

Between her usual duties as Mayor and as Mama Gotham, along with her new found revenge plan, it was safe to say that Alyssa was running on fumes. She had never felt so helpless before. She had gone from being in total control to having no power at all practically overnight. Protecting the people she cared about, along with going after those who threatened them, had always come as easily to her as breathing, but now....

Alyssa threw the papers she was looking over onto her desk and held her head in her hands. The mayor's office where she was currently was actually rather roomy, but for some reason the walls felt far too tight. She was suffocating.

Deciding she needed a change of scenery, she grabbed her jacket off the back of her chair and stood. Once again she had no idea where she was going; lately her body just seemed to move of it's own accord while her mind remained blank.

It was raining outside, as it often was in Gotham. The dark skies seemed to suit her mood as she opened her umbrella and headed down the street.

"....Could we be friends?"

"Yeah. I could use a smart friend."

It was cold. It usually was, but it seemed more noticeable now. Alyssa pulled her jacket tighter around her.

"I for one can't wait to see what happens next. I sincerely hope it's good."

"....Promise me we'll always be together?"

"Of course. I'm here as long as you'll have me."

"Then it's good."

She stopped and looked up to see that she had walked herself down to the DA's office. Her mind instantly went to Harvey Dent, the DA friend she and Bullock had been yelling at since Jim's arrest. The set up was very tight, but that was to be expected from Edward. Not that she'd told them it was him who set Jim up; Bullock would end up in there with him for killing the guy.

Alyssa was very aware of how smart Edward Nygma was, it had just never occurred to her that he may use his abilities for evil. The art museum, the call to IA, officer Pinkney's death....

Wait. IA. Ed had made an anonymous call to IA to re-open the Theo Galavan case. He had set it up to look like Pinkney was the caller, but it would have been him who actually called in.

IA secretly recorded their anonymous tip line to have the tapes available for evidence. If she could just get her hands on that tape....

Water from a puddle on the sidewalk splashed up her pant legs as she ran through it into the DA's office. She didn't notice; she had to find Dent, she had to call Bullock.

They were getting Jim out of prison.

******

As it turned out, Bullock was following her line of thought. Sort of. Alyssa wanted to get Jim out of prison by clearing his name, Harvey had contacted Don Falcone and busted his partner out of the joint.

"Have you gone insane?!" she demanded of the detective.

"They moved him to the F wing Alyssa! Every sicko we've ever locked up is in there, he wouldda been dead in a week!"