Attachment

*7 months ago*

Despite Alyssa's very best efforts, Jerome was subjected to Arkham's more....harsh ways of treatment.

The doctors all insisted it would make him 'better.' It clearly made him worse. He would stare at the wall behind her head, not really listening to her. It was like he was retreating into himself the way he had when he was a kid. Alyssa had worked very hard to get that kid to open up – to trust her – and there was nothing more heart breaking.

"J, look at me..." she reached for his hand, but the second her fingers brushed his skin, he jumped back like she had poured acid on him.

"What are you still doing here?" he demanded.

"What do you mean?"

"I killed my mom, Alyssa! I cut her into pieces, and I laughed! I liked it! Are you really that stupid that you're not running screaming?"

"J, you're my friend. I'm not about to abandon you."

"Friend? Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize messing with a circus kid everytime they came to town was considered friendship in this city! Newsflash bitch, everyone thinks I'm crazy! Why don't you?"

"Because I know you!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! J, I've been your best friend for over ten years! Why do you think I showed up at the circus everyday – cuz we both know the show sucked! Why do you think I spent so much money on fireworks every year?!"

Jerome flinched at the word 'fireworks', hearing the echo of them going off in his head. "Shut up."

"J-"

"I said shut up!"

*******

It was over a week before Alyssa was allowed back into Arkham asylum. Jerome actually looked at her when she came in, but he didn't run and hug her like he usually would. He seemed nervous, scared even. Not that anyone besides Alyssa could tell – he was very good at hiding his emotions.

His eyes widened slightly when she came over and sat next to him.

"Hi."

"Y-you came back."

"Yes. Any other obvious things you'd like to point out?"

"I-I didn't think you'd come....I didn't think you'd want to see me."

"Why wouldn't I want to see you?" Alyssa frowned.

"I-I called you a bitch and I screamed at you....I'm really sorry." he said the last part quieter.

"Its okay." she shrugged. "You had to take it out on somebody. I'm glad you felt safe enough to take it out on me."

Jerome stared at her, the awe clear in his eyes. "....It never even occurred to you, did it? Walking out that door and never coming back?"

Alyssa shook her head. "No. Can't say I like what this place is doing to you. The way you were then – that wasn't you. I'm honestly not sure what it was, but it wasn't you."

Jerome was silent a moment before grabbing her hand and laying his head on her shoulder. Alyssa smiled.

"There he is."

******

Given Alyssa's relationship not only to Jerome but to the rest of the patients that had escaped, it wasn't surprising that she was the new commissioner's first thought in tracking them down. The only reason there weren't patrol cars outside her apartment building was because Alyssa had said coming to her was too obvious and none of the escapees would be stupid enough to do so.