To Give Your All For No Return

*Ten years ago*

"Hey! What are you two doin' back there?!"

"Run."

The two teenagers bolted out the back door of the building, the duffel bags they had stuffed with cash bouncing on their shoulders. Gotham's setting sun was bring way to its night life, so it was easy to slip into the crowd and away from the man chasing them.

They ducked breathlessly into an alley, looking back the way they had come to make sure they'd lost him.

"Oh, that rush never gets old." the boy with dark hair grinned, leaning against the wall to catch his breath.

"Easy Ozzy. Addiction to the rush'll make you reckless."

"Yes, oh great one." he said with a mocking bow, making the girl laugh.

"I mean it, I do not wanna be the one to tell your mother I got you killed." she frowned. "Not that I understand why you wanna do these kinda things with me anyway."

"Well you're the one that said you have to know your way around this city to survive it. And I think I make a decent partner in crime." he held up the bag hanging from his shoulder.

"So that's what this is? Training?"

"Seizing an opportunity." he corrected. "With your skills and my brains, we can take over Gotham! Be its new king and queen!"

Alyssa rolled her eyes. "Alright 'your majesty', use that brain of yours and figure out an excuse when Ed asks where we got the money."

Oswald straightened quickly – fooling the smartest person he knew wasn't his strong suit. "I'll match you for it." he bargained, holding out his fist.

"Deal." they pounded their fist in their hands thrice, Alyssa coming out scissors and Oswald coming out paper. "Scissors beats paper Ozzy!" she smirked, cutting her fingers over his hand.

"Damn it." he grumbled. "Fine I'll come up with something. Can we go get ice cream now?" he pulled a wad of bills out of his bag. "My treat."

"Oh Ozzy ya spoil me." Alyssa held a hand to her heart dramatically.

"Only the best for you my queen." he said with a laugh and a bow. "Shall we?" he held out his elbow.

"We shall." she looped her arm through his.

******

When Theo Galavan did find out that his leverage on Penguin was gone, suffice it to say he was furious. He knew it couldn't have been the crime lord himself, he'd have come to gloat if it was.

That left only one suspect.

The bar was more modest than he'd expected for the person who owned it, but perhaps that was the fact that it was mid-day and the night rush had yet to come in. Still, it left him a nearly empty area for his confrontation.

"Thank you for meeting me, Ms. Connors."

"Oh anything to show good sportsmanship, Mr. Galavan."

"Theo, please." he held up a hand. "Unfortunately, I'm afraid sportsmanship isn't on the agenda for today."

"Oh?" Alyssa raised an eyebrow.

"Well I'm sure you've heard of our fellow candidates recent demise. As it stands, you and I are the only names left on the ballot."

"Well what's a race without a little competition?"