Love You Just A Little Too Much

Theo Galavan was nothing if not persistent. And seeing as he wasn't smart, or a good man, persistence was sort of all he had going for him.

He had half the city council backing his side of the race for mayor, while the other half seemed to have mysteriously disappeared. Not that it mattered; Alyssa had the love of the people, and they were the ones voting.

Not to say she didn't have endorsements of her own. She had gotten to Jim Gordon first, along with Bruce Wayne, and boy had that pissed off Galavan. He had arranged meetings with her – though sometimes he preferred showing up unannounced – and always said she was a worthy adversary and a true Gothamite. When Alyssa mentioned that he was not, he only chuckled and said she'd be surprised.

He was very passionate about her being a 'true Gothamite.' A little too much for one who wasn't.

Had she not already had enough on her plate, she would have looked into the man for he was clearly hiding something. As it stood however, far more...petty things were demanding her attention.

Kristen Kringle was becoming a problem. Not that Alyssa was jealous or anything....okay maybe she was, but wouldn't you be if a woman your boyfriend used to have a crush on was so openly flirting with him right in front of you?

And they worked together, so it wasn't like she could keep them apart. And attempts at telling Kristen to back off had been futile, if anything they seemed to encourage her.

"You're brooding again."

"I am not."

"You've been glaring at that beaker for a half hour." Edward set his microscope aside and looked up at her. "Either you've returned to your childhood desire for heat vision, or, more likely, somethings bothering you."

"...You'll laugh." Alyssa diverted her eyes to the floor.

"Doubtful. You rarely go that deep into thought about something worth laughing about."

"....Kristen Kringle. Despite many attempts at telling her otherwise, she still seems to think she has a shot with you."

"Alyssa, I've told you, her advances mean nothing to me."

"I know. Doesn't make me hate them any less."

"Alyssa..." Edward stepped around the table and brought his hand to her cheek to make her look at him. "Despite how much I love knowing you care about our relationship, I'm aware there are other ways of knowing it. How about I talk to her? Perhaps hearing it from me would help her understand."

"Thank you." she smiled at him.

"Of course. Though I must admit its fascinating seeing you get jealous."

"'M not jealous." she pecked his lips. "Nothing to be jealous over." another small kiss. "You're mine."

"Always." he smiled and kissed her properly.

******

The election was very close to ending, and as voting day drew closer, speeches and press conferences multiplied. Everyone wanted a final say in what the candidates promised if elected, what they thought they're chances were, and what they planned to do if they weren't elected.

Truthfully, Alyssa had never cared much for the press of Gotham. They thirsted for a scandal more than the truth – which made being Gotham's #1 pillar of light a challenge as they were nearly always looking for a way to bring her down.

That, and she just really couldn't stand Vivian Vale, who always seemed to be at the front line when it concerned Alyssa.

But it seemed the press was on her side this time. A campaign supported by the people instead of the officials already in office was legendary – the press may be annoying, but even they knew how easily the city officials could be bought.