07

Maya sat at a table in the far corner of McDonalds. She took a sip of her Sprite before eating a couple of fries. Maya looked out the window and tried to enjoy her meal. There was a possibility that she wouldn't have a meal like this for a long time.

But as Maya tried to enjoy her meal, her mind kept wandering over to Tony. Had he made it home safe? Was he hurt in any way? Had he found her note?

Maya sighed and took another sip of her Sprite. "Can I sit here?" a voice asked. Maya looked up and her eyes widened when she saw Tony. Maya composed herself and then muttered, "Sure."

Tony sat across from her and stole a fry in the process. Maya stared out the window, not wanting to make eye contact with Tony. If she did, she would most likely burst in to tears. He was back and he was safe. But why was he here?

"So. . ." Tony trailed off. "Why are you here?" Maya asked in a low voice. "I'm here because of this," Tony said as he slid an envelope across the table. Maya looked at Tony in confusion and then glanced down at the envelope. She froze when she saw that it was her letter that she had wrote for Tony.

"I-I don't understand," Maya said. Tony gave her a questioning look. "I told you in this letter that I left like you wanted me too. . .so why are you here?" Maya asked. Tony sighed and started talking, "Listen, kid. . .I-I'm sorry."

Maya looked at Tony in shock. He was apologizing? "W-what?" Maya asked. "Are you seriously going to make me say it again?" Tony asked as he raised an eyebrow. Maya shrugged and started to get out of her seat to leave, but Tony grabbed her arm.

"I'm sorry, Maya," Tony whispered. "What? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you," Maya said as she leaned closer. "I'm sorry," Tony said through gritted teeth. Maya smirked and sat back down as she said, "Oh, I know what you said. I just wanted to hear it again."

Tony's jaw dropped as he stared at the eight year old that was in front of him. "What are you sorry about?" Maya asked with an innocent smile. She liked having Tony in the palm of her hand like this. "Don't push it, kid," Tony warned. Maya shrugged and leaned back in her chair. Having the Tony Stark apologize was enough for her.

"So, did you just come to apologize? Or can I leave now?" Maya asked. "Actually, I. . .um. . .found this and brought it for you," Tony mumbled as he held up her teddy bear. Maya's eyes widened and her face flushed in embarrassment. "T-thank you," Maya whispered as she grabbed the bear and held it close to her.

She could still faintly smell her mother on the bear and tears sprung in her eyes. "I-I want to give us a chance," Tony stated. Maya froze and looked up at Tony, the tears now long gone. Now it was Maya's jaw that dropped. "Really?" Maya asked. Tony nodded and said, "I was a jerk for saying that I didn't want to be your father. I had a father that wasn't there for me and I was afraid that I wouldn't be there for you. . .Can we just start over?"

Maya studied Tony to see if he was being serious. She didn't want to go back only to have Tony ignore her. But as she saw Tony watching her nervously, she made her decision. Maya slowly nodded her head and Tony smiled.

Maya held out her hand and said, "Hi, my name is Maya. I'm your daughter." Tony smiled and grabbed Maya's hand. "I'm Tony Stark, your father."

With that, Maya and Tony got up and Maya threw away her trash. As they walked out the door, Tony wrapped an arm around Maya's shoulders. "Come on, Maya. Let's go home," he whispered and Maya smiled. She had a home and a father now.