14

"When you said I would be coming with you to New York, I did not think that would mean I was going to be forced into a dress," Maya muttered as she tugged on her dress and tried to pull it down more. But no matter how far she pulled it down, the dress still felt too short.

Pepper laughed from the bathroom before coming out to look at Maya. She was in the midst of putting an earring in and she stopped to look at the girl with a smile. "You look beautiful, Maya," Pepper said and despite her mood, the corners of Maya's mouth turned up. Pepper saw that and smiled more before she continued to put her earring in and walked back into the bathroom.

"This event shouldn't take long, maybe a couple of hours. Once it's done, we won't have anything else to do for the week and we can go sight seeing. I know you mentioned last time that you used to live here, so I thought you could show me some of the places you remember," Pepper suggested.

Maya stared at Pepper for a minute before sighing and saying, "Fine, but I don't want to see another dress coming my way for the rest of the week!" "Deal," Pepper told her.

There was a small knock on the door and Maya went to open it while Pepper finished getting ready. A huge grin broke out on the girl's face when the door opened to reveal Natasha.

"Natas-Natalie!" Maya exclaimed, quickly stopping herself from yelling out Natasha's real name. "Maya," Natasha greeted, but the girl had already pulled her into a hug. Natasha froze for a second before hugging the girl back.

"Natalie," Pepper greeted as she walked out of the bathroom. "Miss Potts, Happy pulled the car is around and is waiting for you out front," Natasha said. "Thank you," Pepper told her as she put on her last shoe and grabbed her bag. Pepper then looked at Maya and asked, "You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

- - -

The ride wasn't as long as Maya thought it was going to be. What should've been an hour drive at least turned out to only be a half an hour and Maya had soon found herself right in front of the Expo Center. "Wow," Maya muttered in disbelief. Sure, she had come up here last time with her father for the opening, but Maya had never actually got to go to the Expo herself. She had had to watch the opening from her hotel room. And boy, that tv did not bring this thing to justice.

The car came to a stop and Maya didn't even notice that Happy had gotten out until he had opened her door and she had almost fallen out. Maya quickly caught herself and blushed slightly as she heard Happy's soft chuckling. "I'm okay," Maya assured him making Happy laugh a little harder.

Maya got out of the car with Pepper following right behind her. "I'll keep the car down here, all right?" Happy asked. Pepper nodded in response and Maya gave him a smile before saying, "Thank you, Happy." Happy smiled back at the little girl, "It was my pleasure, Maya."

Pepper placed a hand on top of Maya's shoulder just as Natasha got out of the car and walked up to them. "Stay close, okay? And don't answer any reporters if they come up and try to talk to you," Pepper told the girl. Maya nodded in response, "Got it."

Pepper squeezed her shoulder and Maya took her hand before the two of them and Natasha started to walk up the stairs and into the Expo. As they walked in, the voice of an announcer could faintly be heard.

". . . Justin Hammer. His presentation will begin shortly in the main pavilion."

- - -